Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jan 10, 2006, 8:58 PM   #1

These 2 birds come to a holly Tree to feed on the sap after a Yellow Bellied Sapsucker feeds. I thought they were one bird before I noticed a difference. Any help with ID would be much appreciated.

I believe this may be a type of Kinglet.

Same...Kinglet?

I believe this is a type of Warbler. Winter feathers make it very tough for me to decide which type.

Same as previous. Different position to show tail.

Yellow Bellied Sapsucker on Holly tree.

Sapsucker feeding.

Finally a female Cowbird. I'm positive...I think. Woody
woodysworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2006, 12:15 PM   #2

Part of me wants to say the 3rd one is a winter Audubon's yellow rumped warbler, but it isn't exactly right. The streaking on the breast is a bit weird, but much of the rest of it is right.

So I don't really like that guess as to the type of bird, its the best I could find with the warbler book I've got. I've never seen a yellow rump in winter plumage, so I have no direct experience.

Maybe someone else can guess?

I like the 3rd and 4th pictures.
And I've been trying for good sapsucker shots for awhile, and haven't gotten them.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2006, 5:39 PM   #3

Thanks for the attempt Eric. I was leaning toward the Yellow Rumped Warbler, but like you said, it just doesn't look right. The winter plumage also adds to the confusing mix. I was amazed at the number of Warblers in my book. We don't see them in the summer months here. The Sap Sucker seems to love the sap from the Holly tree. It or they come back each winter to dine. Unfortunately they do most of their feeding in the shadows and I have to use a fill flash. I still haven't captured a "keeper". The Cowbirds are now arriving by the dozens. They and the English Sparrows can clean out the feeders quick. Thanks for the help. Woody
Old Jan 12, 2006, 6:00 AM   #4

I think the first two are a female ruby-crowned kinglet.* The other guy is a warbler, what kindI'm not quite sure.* At this time of year plummage isn't real distinctive which makes ID'ingwarblers tough.
woodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2006, 6:46 AM   #5

Thanks Woodmeister. I was leaning that way, but I'm not a bird expert. Especially with winter plumage. Grackles, Robins and Cardinals I can handle. Haven't seen you post lately. Good to see you back. Woody
Old Jan 12, 2006, 2:59 PM   #6
djb

I agree with woodmeister about the Kinglet. It looks like the female version.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote