Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jan 12, 2006, 11:08 AM   #1

Although they are in the neighborhood this is the first House Finch I've seen at my feeder. Wounder if he is the advanced guard for the rest of the flock. Any critiques of my photo?

Thanks

Old Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 12, 2006, 2:49 PM   #2
DBB

Old Jim wrote:
Quote:
Although they are in the neighborhood this is the first House Finch I've seen at my feeder. Wounder if he is the advanced guard for the rest of the flock. Any critiques of my photo?

Thanks
Since you asked....:-)

I REALLY like this photo -

But I think you should play with the framing a bit. It looks empty off on the right, and sort of throws the eye.

dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2006, 5:24 PM   #3

Thanks Dave for your nice reply. As far as the framing, I was just trying to follow the rule of thirds.
Old Jan 12, 2006, 6:28 PM   #4
DBB

Old Jim wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Dave for your nice reply. As far as the framing, I was just trying to follow the rule of thirds.
Actually, you're not following the rule of thirds - You are following the rule of shoving everything to the left.:G

The rule of Thirds is meant to avoid centering the image. It's actually a simplistic version of the below...

A more apt and advanced look at this question is "The Golden Ratio."

http://www.jimloy.com/geometry/golden.htm

And here's a link to the Rule of Thirds:

http://www.silverlight.co.uk/tutoria...se/thirds.html

Finally - All rules were meant to be broken - but....

dave
Old Jan 12, 2006, 6:55 PM   #5

I really appreciate your input Dave. It's part of my education as a new photographer although I don't feel that I have earned that title yet.

Re cropped as you suggested to see if I am going in the right direction. Next time I will compose the pic differently.

The second link I understood but the first...... Should have paid more attention in school. :-)

Old Jan 12, 2006, 7:12 PM   #6
DBB

Old Jim wrote:
Quote:
I really appreciate your input Dave. It's part of my education as a new photographer although I don't feel that I have earned that title yet.

Re cropped as you suggested to see if I am going in the right direction. Next time I will compose the pic differently.

The second link I understood but the first...... Should have paid more attention in school. :-)
Yes better - and when I played around with the picture I was afraid you had composed it so the house was cropped out...

It's better - but, well, you gave yourself too little to work with here...

Thinking about this, I guess you figured the Finch was one third out - so that matched the rule.

But that house is a VERY strong element!

First - this is technically a VERY good picture. Perfect!

House AND Finch are perfectly exposed.

That ain't easy! The rule of thirds wont do a blur any good.

Let me ask - What did your eye tell you? From an artistic point of view the house and Finch are mated.

"Listen" to your eye.

Here's the best that I could come up with"

dave
Old Jan 13, 2006, 4:15 AM   #7

Thanks for all your Help Dave.Iunderstand your point here. I was looking at the Finch as the only subject but I have learned that there can be more than one and they have to all be accounted for.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 5:33 PM   #8
Super Moderator

this shot is tough, because the bird is facing the house.. if it had been facing away, then i say place the bird to the left and let him look into the frame.. you can put him on the right i guess and have him look into the frame, but then he is looking at the house, which makes the photo look claustrophobic and awkward...

centering it like you did DBB works and may be the best version, but it still doesn't feel right, feels like too much house and it seems to dominate the bird...

hmm... this one IS tough...

-dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote