Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jan 30, 2006, 2:35 PM   #11

Great pcitures
Boily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 3:25 PM   #12

Thanks to all who took the time to look and comment.¬* The soft colors were due, I'm sure,¬* to the overcast conditions¬*and¬* the diffused light. ¬* ¬*Eric, I am 99% sure it's is a Red-tail.¬* It probably looks a little darker than normal because I was shooting almost straight up into the overcast.¬* We also get older red-tails that have a darker phase in in winter. I wish the exposure on the bird was as good as the telephone pole he was on.¬* I included the shot because I thought the angles were kind of interesting.¬* I think this is what you were referring to Eric, though this is an immature Red-tail,¬* ¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*Thanks again everyone,¬* ¬*Steve

Last edited by smac; Jan 29, 2014 at 11:44 PM.
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 4:00 PM   #13

Kent, Most of the shots were quasi-hand held with the help of a mono pod jammed into my car door or belt.¬* ¬*Although,the Bittern and Red-tail were totally hand held.¬* These shots were taken through the Sigma 100-300 f/4 with a Sigma 1.4 Teleconverter.¬* ¬*Thanks for looking, Steve
Old Jan 30, 2006, 10:54 PM   #14
KEM

The Western Red tail does not have the white chin nor the well defined belly band or predominant white breast of the Eastern variety. Looks like you've photographed an intermediate or dark western adult in frame 5.
-Kent

KEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 11:30 PM   #15

Sounds like KEM has a similar though to mine. Varying population between east and west coasts. I bet red tails do something similar like with red-shoulders. They vary quite a bit around the country and the population in Florida is rather weird in its own right (much smaller than the more northern version.)

You should see what we get up there, very unlike that red tail. Let me see if I've got a shot on my site... very much like that immature you posted.
http://esmith.marx7.org/web_posts/immature_redtail.jpg
http://esmith.marx7.org/web_posts/immature_redtail2.jpg
http://esmith.marx7.org/web_posts/re..._immature1.jpg
http://esmith.marx7.org/menotomy\dun.../red-tail1.jpg

Some times there isn't much of a belly band (or almost none), and some times it's dark. There is almost always a gap between that belly band ad the head color. Looks like the California red tails have a continuous color up the breast to the head.

Very interesting bird. On rare occasions a canadian redtail comes through that looks similar to that California bird. I've only heard of them having been seen once or twice, though.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 11:31 PM   #16
KEM

Here are some light adult Western redtails..... anyone have pictures of the Eastern for comparison?
-----------------------------------------------
Looks like Eric slipped in while I was posting......
Attached Images

Old Jan 30, 2006, 11:31 PM   #17
KEM

Attached Images

Old Jan 30, 2006, 11:32 PM   #18
KEM

Attached Images

Old Jan 30, 2006, 11:48 PM   #19
KEM

Attached Images

Old Jan 31, 2006, 12:05 AM   #20

Kent & Eric,¬* I agree.¬* Now that I really look, it must be a dark morph of some sort.¬* I looked back over the 100 or so shots of Red-tails I have taken at that location and they all are some version of the light Western or Juvenile Red-tails. None of the other Red-tails are that particularly dark coloring.¬* BTW Both of you haves ome very nice shots.¬* Eric,¬* I guess you can ignore my PM I sent you earlier.¬* I'm going to try and get back out there this weekend.¬* I will look and see if it's up on the telephone pole.¬* Maybe I will get lucky.¬* There are only a couple hundred Red-tail out there.¬* ¬* [img]/forums/images/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]¬*¬* ¬*Thanks for the interest and education,¬* ¬*Steve¬* ¬* ¬*