Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jan 30, 2006, 9:35 PM   #1

I was in DC today to take some pics for my photo class I just started last week (boy do I need it!!)... but I got distracted from my assignments a few times...

It was a very balmy 70 degrees (in January!!) and absolutely gorgeous out... Apparently all the birds were enjoying it as well!

A brilliant male mallard...
Attached Images

Murmurmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2006, 9:37 PM   #2

Bottoms up!! :blah:
Attached Images

Old Jan 30, 2006, 9:41 PM   #3

While some were feeding & splashing, Others were napping, enjoying basking in the warm January sun...
Attached Images

Old Jan 30, 2006, 9:42 PM   #4

The geese were also out in droves...
Attached Images

Old Jan 30, 2006, 9:43 PM   #5

Preening...
Attached Images

Old Jan 30, 2006, 9:46 PM   #6

And then my first suprise, a Blue Heron right there in the pond on the National Mall...!

I had a tough time with this guy-firstly he wasn't quite as "tame" as the DCducks & geese who just ignore you when you're 2 feet away!! And secondly, there were so many #$*@ geesethat I had a heck of a time framing *just* the heron!!! :?

Most of my pics looked like this (or worse!)... :roll:

Attached Images

Old Jan 30, 2006, 9:54 PM   #7

Either that or b/c I was at full zoom-and am not really a steady hand!!- I didn't get very sharp pics. :sad: I reallllly need to start bringing a tripod out with me! I haven't done that yet, b/c if I do... that means I need to graduate to a bigger equipment bag!! Ack! LOL...
Attached Images

Old Jan 30, 2006, 10:09 PM   #8

Finally, my last suprise, right when I was getting ready to head home... I truly couldn't believe this one! In fact, by the time I picked my jaw up off the ground, and switched to my zoom lens, all I was able to get were a few yucky, blurry, far off shots that I had to do a full crop on and sharpen to death just to see... However...just the privelage of getting to see this magnificent bird flying free...it's the first wild one I've ever seen- was defininately rewarding and awe-inspiring! (I'll just have to be more prepared &do better on the pics next time!)

Anyway, I was walking back along the tidal basin when out of nowhere, this huge, magnificent bald eagle starts circling over the east end of the Tidal Basin. (Of all places! If I had been just a little further along up the Tidal Basin I would have been able to get shots of him with the Washington Monument in the background-now that would have been a capture!:lol

This was the "best" of the shots...:roll:But I'm hoping that maybe he'll be sticking around the DC area & I'll get to see him again soon! :-)
Attached Images