Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Feb 2, 2006, 3:11 PM   #1

Taken this morning at the Loxahatchee wildlife refuge. I am told she has been there for several weeks now. Don't know how long till we see little ones.

Photo was shot in raw, then adjusted in Nikon Capture and saved as a jpg.
Nikon D70, Nikkor 70-300 @ 300. Nikon SB800 fill flash.

Attached Images

Jim1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 2, 2006, 10:10 PM   #2
djb

Jim, great shot!!!! Please send her my way!!!!:-)

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2006, 11:24 PM   #3

I'll be going down to that area of Florida in a few weeks.
Could you give me a bit more info about where in the refuge that is?

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2006, 7:35 AM   #4

Eric, This photo was taken at the Arthur R. Marshall Loxahatchee National Wildlife Refuge, 10216 Lee Road, Boynton Beach, Fl. If you plan on visiting the Refuge more than once consider an annual pass for $12 as opposed to paying $5 every visit. To find this nest, drive straight past the guard shack, you will see a road to the right and if you keep going you will see a bus parking area just beyond also on the right. The nest is visible from the main road about 30 feet before the bus area on the north side of the road, about half way up a tree. I am told she has been their for several weeks now. While you are out there you will see a road on the south side across from the bus lot. Go in there and park and you will find some great photo opportunities, If you enter the trail southbound, when you make your first right there are several Great Blue Herons nesting in the top of that stand of trees. Of course there are many other birds and gators, but the Herons are a sure thing. While you are visiting check these out too. The Wakodahatchee and Green Cay are only a couple miles from the Loxahatchee, I haven't been to Grassy Waters yet but heard it is nice. The Wakodahatchee Wetlands http://www.pbcwater.com/wakodahatchee/ Green Cay Wetlands http://www.pbcgov.com/PubInf/News_Ro...5_greencay.htm Grassy Waters Preserve- West Palm Beach 561-627-8831

When I was taking the shot I was wishing I had an 80-400VR, even then I probably would have wanted to get closer :-)
Jim1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2006, 8:41 AM   #5

This is actually my first trip down to Florida to photograph, so I'm very exicited.
I've heard of Great Cay and Wakodahatchee Wetlands, but I hadn't looked at those links yet. I'm going with someone else who has gone several times in the past, so I'm sorta leaning on their experience.

Those directions are great. Thank you VERY MUCH for the info. 3-4 weeks is quite close to the time the babies should be hatching. I think I've heard about some snale kites that can be see off the bus parking lot as well... but I could have my locations mixed up.

For those that care, this is the home page for that Refuge:
http://loxahatchee.fws.gov/home/default.asp

But I was unable to get there when I wrote this.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2006, 9:05 AM   #6

bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote