Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Feb 9, 2006, 10:15 AM   #1

I wasn't sure how well my Canon 70-200 2.8L IS would do with the 1.4X converter. Took this shot (100% cropped) the other day and was pleased with the result. Your comments please.

Attached Images

Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 9, 2006, 10:17 AM   #2

PS

Canon 20D, shutter priority (500), ISO 100 at 98mm.
Old Feb 10, 2006, 9:53 AM   #3
DBB

Walter C wrote:
Quote:
PS

Canon 20D, shutter priority (500), ISO 100 at 98mm.
I love early orning or late evening light. Nice capture:!:

When you say 100 percent cropped, do you mean that you cropped the image and are posting the entire crop without further reduction in size?

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2006, 10:15 AM   #4

Dave

It started as a 6.5 MB RAW file, converted to a 5 MB JPEG file. I then cropped out about half of the picture to eliminate some background. Finally, I resampled the image to upload here.
Old Feb 10, 2006, 3:16 PM   #5
DBB

Walter C wrote:
Quote:
Dave

It started as a 6.5 MB RAW file, converted to a 5 MB JPEG file. I then cropped out about half of the picture to eliminate some background. Finally, I resampled the image to upload here.
:lol:

I'm not trying to be nit picking - and my comment about the crop has NOTHING to do with the quality of the
image... :?

But just for your information, "100 percent" means the original image - IOW, you crop the image, and then without further size reduction or size increase, you post the crop.

I hedge sometimes I say, "Here's a fifty percent crop - but in that case I mean, "Here's half the orginal image."

What I leave unsaid is that I also altered the size for posting.

That kind of crop usualy doesn't look to good on a monitor

Nice shot!

Dave
Old Feb 10, 2006, 3:20 PM   #6

Dave

Even after cropping the original the file was 2.4 MB -- 10 times larger than could be uploaded here. Thus, the resample/resizing. Thanks for the clarification of terms.

Walter
Old Feb 10, 2006, 4:53 PM   #7
djb

Excellent capture of the gull!!! but, to me, the railing is a bit distracting. Somehow my eye wants to follow the railng away from the bird. But, that's just me!!! I do like the birds pose!!!

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2006, 11:57 AM   #8
DBB

djb wrote:
Quote:
Excellent capture of the gull!!! but, to me, the railing is a bit distracting. Somehow my eye wants to follow the railng away from the bird. But, that's just me!!! I do like the birds pose!!!

dennis
Actually I like the railing. Would you believe my eyes are trapped by the open mouth? :lol:

Hi Walter - I understand the need to make the image smaller. I now have DSL, but vowed never to post an image over 100K. Many people just have modems, and when that was what I used I simply didn't have the patience to see many images.

Sometimes I will post a 100 percent crop, to illustrate a point about noise removal, or texture or someting related - but then it's still a very small seciton of the image - For example, just the mouth of the Gull, to make a point.

I still like this shot. It's a prosaic subject, which in my opinion makes it even better.

Dave