Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Feb 16, 2006, 12:00 PM   #11
KEM

bobbyz wrote:
Quote:
I will say again, the focus seemsoff. Maybe the shutter speed is low but it doesn't look like camera shake. Is this a new camera/lens combo?
BobbyZ,

Ah yes, I'm working with a new D200 and my old 80 - 400mm VR lens. Not sure what the issue is with focus but I'm aware of it. Had the samefocus issuewith my old D70s and 80-400mm VR. Sometimesfocus is dead on and sometimes its not. I'm still learning this new camera so not sure I've tuned in all the bells and whistles correctly. The day was bright, in Ap priority(6.3), shutter was ~ 1/750., hand held with VR on. I set theiso at 250 since i had plenty of light. I'm starting to question the lens...I'm newto photography so any suggestions would be more than welcome.

-Kent

KEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2006, 12:25 PM   #12

Kent - I use canon but D200 is very nice. Have you tried some other lens? All I can suggest is shoot some stationary object (flat like cereal box or dollar bill) by putting the camera on a tripod and using high enough shutter speed to rule out shake.

BTW - Were you using continuous focus mode and which focussing sensors? On canons, I use only center focus point so that I can place it where I want 9like eye of the bird) and sometime AI servo (continuous focus) doesn't work well on my 10D.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2006, 12:43 PM   #13
DBB

bobbyz wrote:
Quote:
Kent - I use canon but D200 is very nice. Have you tried some other lens? All I can suggest is shoot some stationary object (flat like cereal box or dollar bill) by putting the camera on a tripod and using high enough shutter speed to rule out shake.

BTW - Were you using continuous focus mode and which focussing sensors? On canons, I use only center focus point so that I can place it where I want 9like eye of the bird) and sometime AI servo (continuous focus) doesn't work well on my 10D.
Part of the problem is over exposure. But part does look to me like camera shake. I really can't see a DOF here.

I would first try Bobby's suggestion of shooting with a tripod - I would suggest from different distances. Something is wrong. The flight shot is definitely in focus. The blur on the closer wing is just wing movement.

I would also try comparisons with VR on and off. And may I also suggest shooting a pendulum.

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2006, 8:11 AM   #14

Does the name Jimmy Duranti come to anyone else?
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2006, 8:18 AM   #15

Code:
Sometimesfocus is dead on and sometimes its not. I'm still learning this new camera so not sure I've tuned in all the bells and whistles correctly
I have the NIkon D50 with the 80-400mm VR lens as well and if your subject is not locked in/focused then you can get slightly blurry pictures. I've found that being patient has worked out best. I've deleted alot of pictures that were not tack sharp and now I do my best to wait until the subject is locked in. I liked your pictures, especially the flight shot. Post more pictures as I'd like to see your work. :-)
Attached Images

Buzzsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2006, 9:12 AM   #16
KEM

bmullen@comcast wrote:
Quote:
Does the name Jimmy Duranti come to anyone else?

GoshI hope so....

http://www.answers.com/topic/jimmy-durante
Old Feb 17, 2006, 9:30 AM   #17
KEM

bobbyz wrote:
Quote:

Bobbyz,

I was shooting in Spot mode using the center focus area in the 11 area default mode.The spot size was at 8mm...When I'm out to the 400mm length which is where i shoot most of the time,I try for the eye but I notice I'm pretty much all over the bird as I'm not that steady... hmmm sounds like camera shake doesn't it. I'll try the continuous focus mode to see if it helps lockin the focus. In this mode the camera will notallow shutter release until focus is achieved. This should help determine if its camera shake or me wandering off the subject. I'm also going to shoot these birds again with a tri pod, deactivate VR and do a comparison.

Thanks for the tips!

-Kent

Old Feb 17, 2006, 10:09 AM   #18
KEM

Buzzsaw wrote:
Quote:
Code:
Sometimesfocus is dead on and sometimes its not. I'm still learning this new camera so not sure I've tuned in all the bells and whistles correctly
I have the NIkon D50 with the 80-400mm VR lens as well and if your subject is not locked in/focused then you can get slightly blurry pictures. I've found that being patient has worked out best. I've deleted alot of pictures that were not tack sharp and now I do my best to wait until the subject is locked in. I liked your pictures, especially the flight shot. Post more pictures as I'd like to see your work. :-)

Nice shot Buzzsaw. I've seen your other post with the flight captures and they're very good. Doesn't the 80-400 VR do an excellent job of compensating for horizontal panning/

-Kent

Old Feb 17, 2006, 10:15 AM   #19

Thanks! It seems to be a great lens, it may be a bit slow at times however. :-)
Buzzsaw is offline   Reply With Quote