Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Feb 18, 2006, 10:00 AM   #1

I just love the way this turned out. This was shot in very early morning light at ISO 800. Nikon D70--Sigma 70-200 HSM. The prints I have made of this are phenomenal, as the middle bird is tack sharpand the rest of the photoshows wonderful motion.

Tom W is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 18, 2006, 10:59 AM   #2

Beautiful shot Tom, and I think you will get many favourable comments, esp from Dave.
JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2006, 1:41 PM   #3
DBB

JakeTPegg wrote:
Quote:
Beautiful shot Tom, and I think you will get many favourable comments, esp from Dave.
Actually, I was about to badmouth him....

It's a wonderful shot, but if I still had only a modem connection I wouldn't have seen it - it's half a meg...:G

I liked this shot so much that I made some minor alterations in the processing - and reduced the byte size
Attached Images

DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2006, 2:10 PM   #4

Great editting, Dave, it certainly improves the already marvellous shot [I think anyone would be proud to have that shot hanging on their wall]

BTW, how did a 414kb file get accepted, if I go 1 byte over I get the zap sign ??:O
JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2006, 3:21 PM   #5

Sorry about that, I must have uploaded the wrong copy. I will repost it.

Tom W
Old Feb 18, 2006, 3:27 PM   #6
DBB

JakeTPegg wrote:
Quote:
Great editting, Dave, it certainly improves the already marvellous shot [I think anyone would be proud to have that shot hanging on their wall]

BTW, how did a 414kb file get accepted, if I go 1 byte over I get the zap sign ??:O
The limit of 250k is for those who upload an imnage from their hard drives. Steve is incredibly generous, because each uploaded is paid for from his bandwidth.

But anyone can post a 100 MEG image, if they want - but they would need an outside site to do so. Of course, very few of us will sit still for such an image - but if you like, I have a number that I can post. Surprisingly, there is more detail in the larger images....:G

On the other hand, I would be paying for the bandwidth...:?:

So, maybe I wont....

Dave
Old Feb 18, 2006, 3:41 PM   #7

Exactly how big should they be? I checked and that image as posted is the exact same size as the others I posted and the exact size that I have posted on other sites as well. If there is a size requirement I could not find it, and I choose 600 x 800 in order to allow people on dial up to still see the images.

As far as your interpretation (editing) of the image, the additional contrast is not realistic to the day, time, or conditions that the photo was originally taken in. I too like a punchier image, but this image was left that way on purpose as it was a true representation of the conditions that morning. It was very early light right at sunup, there was a heavy fog, and there was a snow cover on the ground below them. The cast was very blue and cool. I wouldn't mind that you gave your opinion on the photo, but the changes that you made are just not accurate, even though they tend to appeal to our senses as somehow looking better. The additional contrast and the warm coloring are nice, but I would have done that myself, had that been the image I wanted to portray. Please don't misunderstand as I don't want to seem like an ***hole, nor do I want to put myself out there as a full time professional. I am moving in that direction and I have been doing this for ten years. We all can learn things everyday and I do, but I am no slouch in either my photography skills or in my computer workflow skills. I am more than open to suggestions, but I would ask of you not to manipulate my images. Again, I am open to learning new things, but as in this example, I might have a reason. Photography is about our views and the world as we see it. Offering suggestions to one another is how we learn, but to alter based on our perceptions only hinders the creative process of others.

Thank you for taking the time to reply, and please do not take offense to anything I have said (asked), I am a nice guy and I am sureI will enjoy being here and getting to know some of you and your photography.

PS don't forget about the original question--is there a specific file size I should be uploading?
Old Feb 18, 2006, 3:44 PM   #8

Dave,

I'll be sure to make them all under 250 from now on.

Thanks,

Tom W
Old Feb 18, 2006, 3:47 PM   #9

Dave,

Here is an example of something you could teach me that I might not fully understand. I use image shack for storing my forum images. How does that affect Steve's bandwidth? My understanding is that by using an outside source that it doesn't affect Steve's???

Tom W
Old Feb 18, 2006, 4:48 PM   #10
DBB

Tom W wrote:
Quote:
Dave,

Here is an example of something you could teach me that I might not fully understand. I use image shack for storing my forum images. How does that affect Steve's bandwidth? My understanding is that by using an outside source that it doesn't affect Steve's???

Tom W
Hi Tom

:P:P:G

Just kidding about being "mad."

If Steve sets a 250K limit, I wold assume he knows what he's doing.

If you use an outside source, then it doesn't cost him anything!!!!

As for size - I use special software that keeps mine down.

But if you're using Photoshop, then figure on 250 K as the reasonable limit. In the file you posted that would be roughly JPEG 6

So with my software, I got that file down to 50K, if you had used Photoshop, setting 6, it would have been around 150K.

This is all kind of arbitrary. I no longer use a modem - but I haven't forgotten what it's like...

dave