Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Feb 20, 2006, 7:40 PM   #1

Alright...I am finally getting the courage to post a picture.

This one is from a trip to the Toledo Zoo...and on my brand new Sony H1. (The first manual controls I have ever had).

What do you think?

jpicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 20, 2006, 8:08 PM   #2

Hi jpicky,* Welcome, the exposure and focus are right on.* Nice job for your first post.* The one small suggestion that I would offer is to try leaving a little more open space in front of the Gorilla's face.* It's one of those loose compositional rules that are made to be broken,* [img]/forums/images/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]** ** *"leave enough room to lead the viewers gaze off the page".* At any rate, I love the pensive look on the Gorilla's face.* *He looks like he's trying to remeber where he left his comb.* *Keep em coming,* Steve
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2006, 8:36 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Hi Jpicky and welcome (again)...... not a bad shot at all to start with. One thing I would recommend to make your work look even better when posting is apply some unsharp mask in either Photoshop or Paintshop Pro (or whatever else you use). This will give your work that extra punch!!! I hope you don't mind, but have taken a small portion of your photo and applied USM. I use the following settings Radius 1.0, Strength 60 - 120 depending on size (60 web - 120 print... give or take a little depending on results), Clipping 0.
Attached Images

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2006, 9:39 PM   #4

Steve - Thanks! I'll keep that in mind for next time. I know nothing about photography AT ALL, I'm just winging it.

Mark - I completely didn't even think of playing with unsharp mask in photoshop - even though I was in there to save the file for web viewing. (And I have to admit I played with levels a bit) Thanks for the reminder!

~Jennifer
jpicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 11:47 PM   #5

Jennifer, I like him and a nice shot to boot, I don't think the Little Man on the left is to chuffed though:-). Saying that, if he told me to go away, I would shake his hand and leave the country, QUICK!!!!!

Rob
Rob Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 1:30 AM   #6

Very cool--Gorilla's are just amazing.
Tom W is offline   Reply With Quote