Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Feb 23, 2006, 8:10 PM   #21

the more i look into all this, the more i marvel at the lens on my trusty FZ20... f2.8 all the way, from 36-432mm (equiv), with very good optical quality, in a package half the size of even a 70-200L! as you can see from this pic, the Leica glass in the FZ20 is up to the task... this shot was taken at full zoom, with a 1.45x TC on the end, and it still produced pretty good detail and clarity.it's not the lens that's making me want a DSLR... it's the limitations on the camera itself - noise, an EVF that blacks out during the write cycle, and a slow AF.
Attached Images

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 1:45 AM   #22

Very nice shot too. This is still an interesting discussion. Lots of good ideas and input...

Kd
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 7:43 AM   #23

Don't forget poor battery life, and long start up time. Those are two big reasons I went from the FZ20 to the D50 Nikon. BTW, I have a Sigma 50-500 on the way. I had a hard time choosing between the 100-300, 80-400 OS and 50-500. Found a used 50-500 for $500.
mhansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 8:11 AM   #24

i'd be interested to know how the "Bigma" works out... it looks like a terrific zoom, but without IS, i'd expect it would need to be on a tripod in all but the best light...
Old Feb 24, 2006, 9:51 AM   #25

TheOS image stabilizationis the big advantage for the 80-400 over the 50-500. The 50-500 does have 100mm more reach, HSM (high speed focus) and is readily available. Most reputable dealers have the 80-400 on back order right now. There aren't many reviews out there on the 80-400, so if you go that way, let us know how it goes.
mhansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 9:57 AM   #26

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
thanks for the info. is that 100-400L a push/pull zoom?
yes, it is and I like it. very fast to zoom in and out. Would be nightmare if it was a twist zoom. Some folks do hate it though, don't know why. Dust issue and soft at 400mm is over blown, IMHO.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 10:03 AM   #27

One you take a picture with whatever dSLR you buy, you will be amazed at the level of the detail. I know I have used FZ1, FZ5 and shoot with folks who have FZ20/FZ30. It is totally different ball game, off course you have to pay for it.

Look at galleries of Hawkman and Daniella on pBase. Daniella uses 350XT along with 400mm f5.6. She also uses a monopod which has small legs and here shots are much better than mine even when shooting side by side. hawkman had 100-400, then went for 400mm prime and now has 500mm f4 IS.

And BTW - Even when shooting at f5.6-f8, you will have better DOF and boken than what you get at f2.8.

bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 10:25 AM   #28

bobbyz wrote:
Quote:
squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
yes, it is and I like it. very fast to zoom in and out. Would be nightmare if it was a twist zoom. Some folks do hate it though, don't know why. Dust issue and soft at 400mm is over blown, IMHO.
i always did like the push/pull zooms... had a number of them for my ME Super when i shot film. very fast, as you say, and with practice, one could zoom and focus at the same time. i may yet wind up with one of these, especially if the Sigma 80-400 EX OS isn't to be had. the "L" is about $400 more, but i want good glass, and i suspect a few months after i buy it, the extra money would be forgotten if the image quality is as superb as everyone says. the IS is awfully nice to have, and the 400mm reach (which would be just slightly more than the range of my FZ20 with my TC on) is, as you say, pretty much a necessity for any kind of wildlife work. even that's a bit short at times, though... which is where the 50-500 appeals, but without IS, it'd need a tripod a great deal more often...
Old Feb 24, 2006, 3:22 PM   #29

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
bobbyz wrote:
Quote:
squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
i always did like the push/pull zooms... had a number of them for my ME Super when i shot film. very fast, as you say, and with practice, one could zoom and focus at the same time. i may yet wind up with one of these, especially if the Sigma 80-400 EX OS isn't to be had. the "L" is about $400 more, but i want good glass, and i suspect a few months after i buy it, the extra money would be forgotten if the image quality is as superb as everyone says. the IS is awfully nice to have, and the 400mm reach (which would be just slightly more than the range of my FZ20 with my TC on) is, as you say, pretty much a necessity for any kind of wildlife work. even that's a bit short at times, though... which is where the 50-500 appeals, but without IS, it'd need a tripod a great deal more often...
Pardon me for butting in, I know the numbers are in here somewhere. But tho the "L" is 400 more, how much is that altogether? Do those numbers/letters indicate a stabilized lense? (I'll be going down the same road soon...)

Kd
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 4:19 PM   #30

KENNETHD wrote:
Quote:
Pardon me for butting in, I know the numbers are in here somewhere. But tho the "L" is 400 more, how much is that altogether? Do those numbers/letters indicate a stabilized lense? (I'll be going down the same road soon...)

Kd
Ken, the 100-400 f4L IS USM retails for about $1400 USD. the Sigma 80-400 f4.5-5.6 EX APOOS goes for about $1000, if you can find one. the "IS" in Canon's part number indicates "image stabilization", and USM is for the "ultra-sonic motor" used in the AF mechanism. "L" is Canon's "luxury" designation applied to their professional-grade lenses. Sigma uses "OS" for "optical stabilization", and "EX" - no clue what that actually stands for, it's just an exterior finish different from their consumer lenses- to identify their highest grade glass. the "APO" indicates a type of low-dispersion glass they use. Sigma also uses "HSM" ("hypersonic motor") instead of USM, though the 80-400 does not use this motor type.