Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Feb 24, 2006, 8:11 PM   #31

Many thanks Squirl. I am glad to have that info. I'm casually scouting the dslr's and am always watching to see what's new. There doesn't seem to be great leaps in product advancement lately, at least not the same frenzy that hit the prosumers a while ago. I keep thinking there's a big jump coming soon in the dslr area, for serious amatuer types. And if and when I buy one, I, like you...want to know as much as I need to, to make the best lense choices. Learned quite a bit thanks to this topic...

Kd
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 8:34 PM   #32

This is mainly for squirl033. The following images were shot with a Sigma 50-500mm DG an a Nikon D70. Hopefully they will give you an idea of the capabilities of the lens. Woody

woodysworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 8:44 PM   #33

woodysworld wrote:
Quote:
This is mainly for squirl033. The following images were shot with a Sigma 50-500mm DG an a Nikon D70. Hopefully they will give you an idea of the capabilities of the lens. Woody
thanks, Woody! very nice images! how many of those were handheld? looks like the "Bigma" is a very capable lens, especially with good light. it's definitely on my list - the only strike against it, from my perspective, is that it doesn't have IS...not a critical issue, but one that's of some concern, given the weight and bulk of that lens. from a tripod it'd be no sweat, but i sometimes find myself in situations where setting up a tripod would take too long and i'd miss the shot. i've seen guys with howitzers on the front of their cameras, with tripods set up, just waiting for something to happen, but i'm the sort who's more likely to go out and hunt my subjects, rather than waiting for them to come to me... i any case, if the 80-400 EX OS lens isn't available, the 50-500 will certainlybe a viable alternative!
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 9:23 PM   #34

The Swan, Egret, Hawk and Hummingbird were all handheld. The rest were either tripod mounted or beanbag supported. Woody
Old Feb 24, 2006, 10:26 PM   #35
VP

Woody.... have you used a monopod with the 50-500? Those arepretty acceptable shots for that lens (to me)

Normcar has posted some excellent bird shotstaken with that lens...of course also using the MII. I was reading some posts from a couple of years ago where he was basically on the same search and had tried some of the lenses already mentioned.

At the time was using a Rebel and at that point he decided to just keep the Bigma and buy the MII (probably not the easiest decision)

Ialso have that lens on MY list.
VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2006, 6:45 AM   #36

Not sure how much you are willing to spend, I'd go the 20D for starters, Ive got a 300D and will not go to the 350D for the size reasons, I like a larger camera and the 20D is the same size as the 300D so until I can afford a 20D I will stick with what i have.

My choice of lens for wildlife would be the Canon 100-400 IS USM L lens as I do not like carting a tripod around so the Bigma is out for me. However again that is out of the question money wise so I use my Canon 100-300 USM for my wildlife shots and it does the job for now, I got this lens secondhand on Ebay and it has been great. The quality of photo is pretty reasonable see below

Don't bother getting one of those cheap 100-400 lenses, they are a waste of time, Ive been there and done that.

Take your time and work out your needs and Im sure you will be shooting some great wildlife shots soon enough.

aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2006, 6:49 AM   #37

I have not used a monopod. I have an old monopod, and I really need to test it out with the bigma. I've been very happy with the bigma. It took/takes some getting used to, but the results can be very satisfying. Woody