Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Mar 28, 2003, 4:41 AM   #1

Default Grey Heron (Animation)

The following GIF animation link is based on a sequence of three shots of a Grey Heron catching a small invertabrate at Hunters Bog in Edinburgh.

Depending on the speed of your Internet connection it may take a couple of minutes to download.

http://www.pbase.com/image/14802202
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 30, 2003, 5:09 PM   #2

Awsom 3 shot picture story... Right on in exposure, sharpness, color. I'd be very proud to have tried to take that.
M. Haner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2003, 2:11 AM   #3

cool...how do did you do that?....is there some program used for the animation?

thanks
mrdinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2003, 6:11 AM   #4

Thank you, glad you both like it ! This is the first time I've hit lucky capturing a sequence.

As the subject was moving I had to try and track its movements and then shoot. This isn't quite as bad with a Grey Heron as some other subjects as they tend to move and then freeze if they spot something edible. In this case I just managed to frame and shoot in time to capture the sequence.

Another aspect was that with the CP4500 there isn't any long latency between the first three shots in a sequence as they are being written to the camera's RAM at that point and are then transfered to the memory card. There is latency with the autofocus at the start of shooting but again I was lucky with the timing of the birds movements.

The animation was created through Adobe Photoshop Elements version 2.0. You create a Photoshop file with a "layer" for each shot (after cropping and adjusting the contrast and exposure of each shot as an earlier exercise). You then re-size the multi-layered image to the desired final size and then use the Adobe option "Publish for Web" to create a GIF file. This file type gives you the option to animate the layers of the image.
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote