Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Mar 1, 2006, 9:23 PM   #1

I thought some here in wildlife forum might enjoy this guy. Can't say whether it's just the way the wind is ruffling his facial feathers or maybe he's a proud dad-to-be, I've gotten a few shots of his girlfriend, too.

forestcat44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2006, 8:35 AM   #2

I think Northern Flickers are awesome looking birds, I've been getting them on the suet log in my backyard recently... I'll post a picture or two when I have a chance. Good job!
Buzzsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 9:59 AM   #3

I like them. I saw couple of them flying in my local park but couldn't get close enough for decent shots.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 4:57 PM   #4

Yeah, this particular bird & the female are suet mongers extrordinaire, along with the Hairy/Downy Woodpeckers (darned if I can figure which one...) The shot above was at about 60-70 feet or so, through an energy star double pane casement window. Not sure how much the glass degraded the quality, probably not as much as the resize & recompression for photobucket.
They have a pretty amazing paint job up close. You would never know it with the naked eye at the normal distance they keep. I'm putting up a woodpecker house in a week or so. We had a nesting pair of Red-Bellies last spring, their antics trying to teach the (not so)little guys to get their own food were a riot, I'd love to have them take up in a house that would be "photo-friendly.

Anyway, here's the happy couple. I know it's a technically weak shot, but you can still get an idea of just how gorgeous a bird she is...

Old Mar 2, 2006, 5:17 PM   #5

Nice pics, my Flickersare also through the home glass windows..... also, a few more pics of a Piliated and pair of Downy's that frequent the yard.

Old Mar 2, 2006, 5:44 PM   #6

Buzzsaw,
Your shots are consistently impressive & inspiring. The pileated is amazing. That is one magnificant bird. I don't think we have them in these parts (NJ). Having that in your yard is way cool. How far away was the downy, 2nd shot? Was that your 400mm Nikor?

--==Neil==--
Old Mar 2, 2006, 7:12 PM   #7

Thank you Neil, I appreciate the compliments! The2nd Downy was approx 15yards away and yes it was with the 80-400mm Nikkor VR. :G
Old Mar 2, 2006, 8:46 PM   #8

Any kind of a tele converter? The level of fine detail in that image is scary. I'm guessing it has to be a prety close crop. Would you post a 800x600, or thereabouts of the original? I'm curious to see how much it was cropped and still yielded this level of detail. It looks like film to my amateur eyes.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 9:26 PM   #9

No teleconverter, kinda shying away from them lately. I'll look for the original, I don't think I cropped it a ton or it would have been grainy. Here's another.

Old Mar 3, 2006, 8:41 AM   #10

This is a bit off-topic, & apologize for being a n00b on this...

You've taken this shot at ~400mm 35mm equivalent, no converter, minimal crop & it fills the frame. I take a similar shot at ~900mm 35mm equiv., and I'm lucky if it fills 20% of the frame. Does 35mm equivalent mean anything at all re: the ability to fill a frame with ones chosen subject of a specific size at a specific distance, when comparing lenses/and or cameras?