Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Apr 4, 2003, 11:42 PM   #1

Default 10D Image

My very first image taken with my new 100-400 USM IS L, on my 3-day old 10D. I think I'm going to like this combination.

http://www.pbase.com/wmlarso/canon_10d
Ward Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2003, 5:49 AM   #2

Nice quality Ward. Have you tried any other cropping for this image ? I'm thinking of one that would show more of the tail and underparts.
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2003, 7:45 AM   #3

Graham - unfortunately, the cropping that you suggest is still out where the Mallard is located. This was the image that was unknowingly cropped in the camera. No tail, no bottom. First shot. I had dialed in my settings in advance, pulled up the camera, focused, and shot, leaving out the framing part. I was so impressed with the colors, and the detail, that I decided to post it anyway. Your suggestions were excellent, but I just don't have that in my image. Chalk it up to beginner's jitters.
Old Apr 5, 2003, 12:53 PM   #4

"I was so impressed with the colors, and the detail, that I decided to post it anyway" - Quite right !
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2003, 7:10 PM   #5

Nice one, Ward - Congrats on the new combo!

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2003, 10:11 PM   #6

Ward Larson

That is the exact combination of body and lens that I'm thinking of. How is it working for you? Get any more interesting pictures over the weekend? I'm hoping to buy next week some time (once I get over the sticker shock!)

And just wondering, now far away were you from the duck? And what was the ISO (or maybe what were all the settings?) It looks to me like there are some artifacts in the feathers on the back. For example, the first large feather which goes over the blue stripe on the back (and the feature above that.) Something just seems unnatural about that detail.

I looked at your galery and didn't see any of the settings posted along with the pictures. I, for one, learn a lot from how a picture was taking. Bird photographys is what I'm interested in doing... so this interestes me greatly with your pictures.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2003, 10:41 PM   #7

Eric - I'll answer as best as I can. I pulled up the original image and zoomed in on the area which you discussed, and it is apparent that this is not an artifact - just highly detailed rendition of the minute patterns in a Mallards feathers. The feather you mentioned moves out of focus a bit, as it curves away from the camera at the tip. This has a very narrow DOF, being shot at f 5.6, and I believe that I was within 15' when I shot this. The image is also seriously down-sampled from the original. I haven't installed any of my Canon software yet, and I have moved the images via a card reader through P.I.E., to the hard drive. I am not picking up the EXIF2 data as a result, I'm afraid. I don't believe that I did any other thing to this image, other than resample it in Corel Photo Paint 9. The settings on this photo were as follows:
Image size: Large JPG
1/250 sec
f 5.6
400mm
IS type 1
ISO 100
Exposure bias -1.0
Matrix metering

I am just beginning to scratch the surface of my knowledge of the camera, and the lens, but I did go to the zoo today, and managed to get (I believe) a few good shots. All images were hand-held, and I absolutely love the IS feature! I am in the process of resampling down, some of these images at this time, and I will be posting them yet tonight, if time allows. I hope this answers your questions.

http://www.pbase.com/wmlarso/canon_10d