Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Apr 7, 2003, 6:44 AM   #1

Default Woodlouse

Not everyone favourite type of creature but I like it for the texture of its carapace. Unfortunately I didn't have quite enough depth of field to get the other antenae in focus.

checklg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 7, 2003, 6:08 PM   #2

Those do look cool upclose
Gimli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2003, 3:06 AM   #3

Nice shot. A bit of sharpness on the shield could to wonders in this shot. But hey...its fine as it is.
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2003, 8:03 AM   #4

Thank you Klaus, glad you like it. Are you thinking of some more Unsharp Mask ? I applied a little but I agree it could stand some more.

To my eye some insects have a slightly mechanical look. As a result I believe that the sharpening that can make some birds look a little artificial can work well with insects.
Old Apr 10, 2003, 8:14 AM   #5

I agree on that Graham. I've had some troubles taking pics of birds in my garden and gain the total amount of sharpness afterwards (nothing to do with the DOF!). The birds feathers becomes kind of artificial looking - you right about that. Then I tried adding some saturation and that helped a little. But I still has this problem getting it PINsharp. Do you have any advices on that. I know you're into birds more than I am.
In your shot here I would use (in photoshop) the sharpen TOOL only on its shield - I'm sure it would add some roughness to it. But just a thought.

Looking at it again ... a higher F. stop would have increased the DOF to the head also. That would have been great. But I do like it as it is. Btw how big is this bug ?
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2003, 1:51 PM   #6

Klaus,

The bug is about 14 milimetres in length.

In answer to your other question about sharpness and birds, my best results have generally been achieved focusing my telescope in advance and then attaching the camera, but I know that's not allways possible. The rest of it seems to be simply good light (allowing fast shutter speeds), a good tripod, no wind, a remote shutter release and a co-operative subject.

Add to this taking lots and lots of shots, hoping for the one where the bird pauses in its activity to have a look around - I've seen an active Robin blur a shot taken with a 1/500 second shutter speed.