Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Apr 18, 2006, 2:54 PM   #1

While over on the Northern Calif. coast last week I took several pictures of some White crowned sparrows. When I got back and started processing them for posting I noticed that this one had leg band. It had the letters ABRE printed on it. I can't find anything that tells what kind of leg band this is. Is doesn't seem to fit the normal convention of banding formation. Does anyone recognized this scheme? I'm just curious to know what it means. The second shot was taking about 15 feet from this hovering Seagul. He was just playing on the wind. Thanks for looking, Steve

Last edited by smac; Jan 29, 2014 at 11:43 PM.
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 18, 2006, 2:59 PM   #2

Hovering on the wind.

Last edited by smac; Jan 29, 2014 at 11:43 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2006, 3:04 PM   #3

Great shots, Steve!
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 10:45 AM   #4

Very nice Steve. Makes you wonder when you see a band on a small bird like this. How the heck do they catch the little guys and put them on? ......thekman.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 12:05 PM   #5

Wonderful photos Steve. Two totally different subject sizes, colors and situations and you nailed them both. Great! Woody
woodysworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 11:08 PM   #6

Thanks Bob, Kman, and Woody.* I*appreciate the compliments. Say Woody, do you know what became of that sickly Coopers hawk that was in your yard last year?* I saw one the other day and it made me wonder, what ever happened to that hawk? * *Steve
Old Apr 20, 2006, 6:21 AM   #7

Amazing shots.
Nizidramanii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2006, 10:30 AM   #8

thekman620 wrote:
Quote:
Very nice Steve. Makes you wonder when you see a band on a small bird like this. How the heck do they catch the little guys and put them on? ......thekman.
That's actually not as tough as it sounds, 'kman. My undergraduate degree was in Wildlife Biology and I used to do bird banding.

For these types of birds what is typically done is to set up what is called a "mist net" across a flyway. First, a mist net is a fine net that is very tough for the birds to see as they fly. Second, a flyway is a corridor of known activity for birds as they fly through an area and is usually determined by prior observation or else by knowledge of the habits of the birds to be banded and the habitat you are doing the netting in.

Once the birds have flown into the net and are entangled and hanging there you try to quickly extract them. That is the toughest part of the whole operation as they can get quite messed up in the fine strands of the net. Also, some of the stouter beaked birds (cardinals as an example) can easily mess up one of your fingers if you don't hold them right so as to prevent it.

After extraction you band them and gather whatever other data you are out to collect (weight, length, age, etc). Simple (and fun)!
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2006, 10:41 AM   #9

Do those bands affect the way other birds interact with the banded birds?
Nizidramanii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2006, 11:12 AM   #10

So far as I know the bands have little or no effect on the birds. It's like the rings we wear - it might annoy us for a short time and then we pay it no attention. There have probably been some studies done to gauge the effects if any. It might also be possible that if there are any effects that it is specific to particular species.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote