Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Apr 30, 2006, 9:29 PM   #1

caught this little fellow sitting on a fence in my neighbor's yard. it's the first time i've been able to get one out in the open, actually sitting still long enough to take a shot! the sun was about gone, and the light was going fast, but he posed perfectly, and i managed to tweak it a bit to come out passable... Sigma 80-400, 400mm handheld, 1/320 @ f5.6. he heard the shutter click, and immediately after this shot, he turned and looked straight at me, then took off into some nearby treetops.

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 30, 2006, 9:39 PM   #2
VP

That's a striking bird, one I haven't seen before. A very nice job also on the photo.
VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2006, 9:46 PM   #3

Beautiful!
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2006, 10:43 AM   #4

What a great shot!! Well done indeed. I love the way his tail feathers so perfectly follow the line of the nail (?) in the fence. Really nice picture.
-greg-
Godzillza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2006, 10:48 AM   #5

Yes indeed, very well done.
Barracuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2006, 11:31 AM   #6
DBB

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
He heard the shutter click, and immediately after this shot, he turned and looked straight at me, then took off into some nearby treetops.

First, let me say, this is a great shot...:lol:

Love the light

It's my theory that they could reduce the shutter sound to nothing if they wanted. But the screams from photographers who want that "real camera sound" would be deafening.

%#$%^W#% is my reaction when I see some bird I stalked for an hour take off after the first shot because of the noise.

This is a private peeve. I am restraning myslef from lauching into a twenty page rant...

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2006, 12:27 PM   #7

DBB wrote:
Quote:
squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
He heard the shutter click, and immediately after this shot, he turned and looked straight at me, then took off into some nearby treetops.
First, let me say, this is a great shot...:lol:

Love the light

It's my theory that they could reduce the shutter sound to nothing if they wanted. But the screams from photographers who want that "real camera sound" would be deafening.

%#$%^W#% is my reaction when I see some bird I stalked for an hour take off after the first shot because of the noise.

This is a private peeve. I am restraning myslef from lauching into a twenty page rant...

Dave
thanks, Dave. i'm not so sure they could reduce the shutter noise to nothing, that mirror still has to move up pretty smartly in there, and the mechanism has to do that pretty quickly to be able to manage 5 fps in burst mode. still, i expect they could make it quieter, and Canons are not known for stealthy shutters... had i shot this with my FZ20, instead of my 30D, i could have set the camera to silent mode, and there'd have been no noise at all-but then, the FZ doesn't have a mirror!

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2006, 1:32 PM   #8
DBB

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
thanks, Dave. i'm not so sure they could reduce the shutter noise to nothing, that mirror still has to move up pretty smartly in there, and the mechanism has to do that pretty quickly to be able to manage 5 fps in burst mode. still, i expect they could make it quieter, and Canons are not known for stealthy shutters... had i shot this with my FZ20, instead of my 30D, i could have set the camera to silent mode, and there'd have been no noise at all - but then, the FZ doesn't have a mirror!

No, I've talked to engineer's about this....

They tell me that it's engineered not only to make a sound, but to make a particular sound...

You know, the sound that says, "Professional."

Thus my expression "rant.":evil:

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2006, 4:21 PM   #9

Beautiful capture squirl. The lighting is very natural and the shot very well composed. Tack sharp too. Nice job. Woody
woodysworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2006, 9:15 PM   #10
KEM

Great shot squirl! I have been trying to get one of these out in the open for months and have failed on every attempt.They're always at the top or deep in the branches of the trees.

-Kent
KEM is offline   Reply With Quote