Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old May 3, 2006, 12:11 PM   #1

Took these over the last week...cheers......thekman.

1 Time for breakfast. This was early in the morning. She seemed very tame, and I was able to almost fill the frame. Small crop and resize
Attached Images

thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 3, 2006, 12:13 PM   #2

2 Spotted Towhee. These little guys are pretty calm. They're not too nervous as long as you don't get real close. They'll pose for you once in a while. They spend a lot of time in the undergrowth of bushes.
Attached Images

Old May 3, 2006, 12:18 PM   #3

3. I need Dave's help here. I've been trying mostly fruitlessly for the last year trying to get a shot of this little bird. They're really noisy, but elusive. They hang around in the bull rushes nesting in them. I apologize as it's a poor photo, but am more interested in find out what it is. They're really wary of people, and I couldn't get any closer. Heavy crop and shooting into the sun. Anyway, hey Dave, do you know what this little guy is? cheers..........thekman.
Attached Images

Old May 3, 2006, 2:56 PM   #4
DBB

thekman620 wrote:
Quote:
3. (. Anyway, hey Dave, do you know what this little guy is? cheers..........thekman.
Yeah, sure, it's a little brown and white bird....:shock:

Maybe someone else can take a guess, but I would need a better shot. The shape of the beak often gives things away, but I'm not even sure about the shape of the beak...

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2006, 3:13 PM   #5

Lol. Thanks for the try Dave. Like I said, these little guys are elusive. You can hear them all over the place, but they don't show themselves-at least not to me..'kman.

DBB wrote:
Quote:
thekman620 wrote:
Quote:
3. (. Anyway, hey Dave, do you know what this little guy is? cheers..........thekman.
Yeah, sure, it's a little brown and white bird....:shock:

Maybe someone else can take a guess, but I would need a better shot. The shape of the beak often gives things away, but I'm not even sure about the shape of the beak...

Dave
Old May 3, 2006, 3:19 PM   #6

thekman620 wrote:
Quote:
2 Spotted Towhee. These little guys are pretty calm. They're not too nervous as long as you don't get real close. They'll pose for you once in a while. They spend a lot of time in the undergrowth of bushes.
That is an amazing shot. I grew up in BC but now live in Los Angeles. So miss seeing all that great wildlife on my doorstep.

Can you please tell me what camera and lens you are using to get such a close, and sharp shot! I am getting ready to buy a new dSLR and want to be able to get shots like that someday.
dandcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2006, 5:35 PM   #7
VP

Good shot on the Towhee kman, the eye is in good detail and a pretty little bird to boot.

On the other I would guess a female Red Wing Blackbird.....but I suspect you know what those look like.

The deer is a nice shot also. Kinda wondering about the ears there......looks odd. The way it appears it almost looks like antler begining to grow, but might be a little early in your area. You did say she though... Are those Blacktails in your location?
VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2006, 8:09 PM   #8

dandcp wrote:

Can you please tell me what camera and lens you are using to get such a close, and sharp shot! I am getting ready to buy a new dSLR and want to be able to get shots like that someday.

Thanks dandcp. These were shotwith a Pentax istDS with a 100-300mm f4.5-5.6 zoom.Cheap lens, but it isn't too bad. Usually have to increase the contrast with it as it's a little flat.Fairly sharp though for a cheapie. Only paid $70 for it. Cheers....'kman

Old May 3, 2006, 8:16 PM   #9

VP wrote
Quote:
Good shot on the Towhee kman, the eye is in good detail and a pretty little bird to boot.

On the other I would guess a female Red Wing Blackbird.....but I suspect you know what those look like.

The deer is a nice shot also. Kinda wondering about the ears there......looks odd. The way it appears it almost looks like antler begining to grow, but might be a little early in your area. You did say she though... Are those Blacktails in your location?

Thanks vp. It's not a red wing. Too small. This one was quite tiny, but sure kicked up a racket. Not real sure about the deer. I thought it was a female. I don't know if we have blacktails in our area or not....k'man.
Old May 4, 2006, 12:02 AM   #10

Nice shots kman,

I'm no birder by any stretch of the imagination, but I think the bird in question might be a house wren?
Attached Images

GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote