Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jun 15, 2006, 1:17 AM   #1
djb

Well, I got 3 shots of a flycatcher. Not good ones and from below and at a fair distance. I know it's not a phoebe by the distinct wing bars. Taken in Massachusetts with the 20D & 500mm & 1.4TC. Can any of you experts identify which type of flycatcher. They are so similar that I'm totally confused. I have an idea of a possibility of 3 types but, not sure. I need the pros here to help. Thanx!!!

dennis

1. 1st shot

Attached Images

djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 15, 2006, 1:18 AM   #2
djb

2. 2nd shot

Attached Images

Old Jun 15, 2006, 1:20 AM   #3
djb

3. 3rd shot, this was processed slightly different. I increased the saturation to bring out more of the distinct yellow under the neck and along the belly.

Attached Images

Old Jun 15, 2006, 8:33 AM   #4

Beautiful shots Dennis. The closest id I could come up with on this little guy is the Hammond Flycatcher. The book I have says they're a hard bird to id because of the similarities of most flycatchers......cheers.....Don.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 9:20 AM   #5
DBB

thekman620 wrote:
Quote:
Beautiful shots Dennis. The closest id I could come up with on this little guy is the Hammond Flycatcher. The book I have says they're a hard bird to id because of the similarities of most flycatchers......cheers.....Don.
Tough choices. But if your in Massachusett's then it's not the Hammonds. Your going to have to shoot these in less harsh light. The subtle distinctions are lost. Eastern Wood Pee Wee?

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 9:22 AM   #6
djb

Don, the Hammond doesn't make it to Massacusetts (unless it's on vacation.:G). It's a very west of the Mississippi kind of bird from what I've read and it's range is way up in your part of Canada. Thanx!! My guess it's either a Willow, Alder, or Acadian flycatcher.

dennis
Old Jun 15, 2006, 9:53 AM   #7

what is the bird's song like? that will help,
tigerwings1st
tigerwings1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 10:12 AM   #8

The flycatchers are very difficult to tell apart. The safest way to differentiate them is by habitat, range, and voice in the breeding season. Differences in plumage due to molt, wear and age make the plumage quite variable. This species is extremely similar to the Alder flycatcher and was once considered the same species. It often has a less noticeable eye ring and browner, less olive, upperparts; however, most individuals cannot be identified with certainty by sight. Acadian and Yellow-bellied flycatchers tend to be greener above and yellower below than the Willow Flycatcher. Least Flycatcher is grayer above, smaller, shorter-tailed and has a more distinct eye ring. Western United States empidonax flycatchers have darker lower mandibles and more obvious eye rings. Gray is grayer above and rangier. Hammond's is smaller, darker-chested and has a grayer throat. Pewees are quite similar but are larger, have different vocalizations and typically forage higher in the canopy.

I'd guess Alder or Willow..........
Buzzsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 2:31 PM   #9
KEM

I'd say Least because of the "bold" eye ring ... but I wouldn't put any money on it.
-Kent

KEM is offline   Reply With Quote