Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jun 25, 2006, 12:06 AM   #1

spotted this little fellow on a trip to Mt. Rainier today. these birdslive in remote, higher elevations, usually above 5,000 feet, sometimes even higher. when i was a kid, camping in the mountains with my parents, we called them "camp robbers", because they would land in the campsite and take food off the picnic table, or sometimes right from the pot! brazen little fellows!

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 27, 2006, 4:04 PM   #2

Nice shot Squirl of an unusual bird. I've never seen one of these. Guess I don't get up to the high country enough. He looks a little sad though.......cheers.....Don.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 7:41 PM   #3
VP

Can't recall seeing one of those either on trips to the mountains. Nice one squirl.
VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 10:10 AM   #4

VP wrote:
Quote:
Can't recall seeing one of those either on trips to the mountains. Nice one squirl.
i don't think they live that far south... mostly in the Rockies and the higher elevations in the Cascades or Sierras on the West Coast. nothing in Texas remotely tall enough for them. :G
Old Jun 28, 2006, 11:52 AM   #5

I know that bird! Or one of his family. I was at a picnic at the Scoop Jackson center on Mt. Ranier, when one of these guys swooped in and stole a potato chip off my plate, and flew back to a nearby bench, eating it, while keeping an eye on me.

Very brazen little birds.

The Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 5:13 PM   #6

Just curious if your know what your exif info was on that shot? I have started stopping down to get cleare images ie.. 5.6 all the way to f8 and in between. It seems to get a clearer image except in low light situations.
Buzzsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 11:02 PM   #7

Buzzsaw wrote:
Quote:
Just curious if your know what your exif info was on that shot? I have started stopping down to get cleare images ie.. 5.6 all the way to f8 and in between. It seems to get a clearer image except in low light situations.
shot that one at 1/250, f8, but at ISO 800 (i'm not sure if my metering is working right...) i probably could've shot it at f11, but that would've slowed me down to 1/200 or maybe 1/125, and i didn't want to test the image stablizer at 400mm! :lol:
Old Jun 29, 2006, 6:13 AM   #8
VP

I guess I should have clarified my statement and said trips to the Rocky Mtns.:-)

But.....a lot of people are not aware that there are Mtns. in Texas that reach over 8,000 ft.:-):-) (yeah I know.....foothills)
VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2006, 5:37 PM   #9

8,000 feet is respectable... it's only foothills if you live in the Rockies! most peaks in WA aren't much taller, except Rainier, which is a bit over 14,000. but you'reright... i didn't know there was anything that tall anywhere near Texas!:O
Old Jun 30, 2006, 6:51 PM   #10

Thanks squirrel! Keep up the good work. :|
Buzzsaw is offline   Reply With Quote