Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 4, 2006, 9:18 PM   #1

I've looked at the bird books I have, and can't identify this little sad looking guy. I don't know if he's sick, young or wet. He didn't look too healthy to me. Anyone (Dave), know what this is?....Don.
Attached Images

thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 5, 2006, 12:02 PM   #2
DBB

Don't you have the common decency to blow dry your subjects? It's hard enough to identify these little guys when their dry!

Aside from my usual suggestions of Carolina Parakeet and Ivory Billed Woodpecker, I would guess Juvenile White Throated Sparrow. The side dark patches on the head are too dark, but then again - He's all wet. When their in the process of going adult, you never know.

Other peoples thoughts welcome!

Dave

PS - Oddly enough the beak, on second thought looks very much like that of a Grossbeak. Could you dry him off and post another shot?
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2006, 9:43 PM   #3
djb

I'm definitely no expert, especially when it comes to sparrows and other birds with more than 1 type. :?But, this tends to look like a black-headed grosbeak female. It has the grayish legs, 2 toned bill, and other fine details. Just my guess.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2006, 10:06 PM   #4

Not a good picture on my part, but here is a female Rose Breasted Grosebeak.... you make the call... I know the answer. :-)

Buzzsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2006, 10:29 PM   #5

Thanks Dave, Dennis and Buzzsaw. The beak is what is throwing me off too. Looks like a Grossbeak, but the markings don't match anything in my books. I guess he was wet. Don't know what the heck it was doing to get that soaked. Thanks for the help guys.....Don.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2006, 9:25 AM   #6
DBB

thekman620 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Dave, Dennis and Buzzsaw. The beak is what is throwing me off too. Looks like a Grossbeak, but the markings don't match anything in my books. I guess he was wet. Don't know what the heck it was doing to get that soaked. Thanks for the help guys.....Don.
I think Buzzsaw is correct and I am wrong. The beak is that of a Grossbeak, and looking at some of my books, it's what he says it is.

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2006, 11:09 AM   #7
djb

Might be a rose=breasted but, the reason I thought it to be a blacke-headed is due to ut having my opinion) a 2 tone bill and yellow lores. Also, according to Sibley's book the rose=breasted is extremely rare in BC where the black-headed is a summer bird in parts of BC. just my other 2 cents worth.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote