Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Aug 2, 2006, 9:43 PM   #1

I took this photo of the swan and its reflectionthis past Sunday :-)and am quite pleased with the results. Comments very welcome!

Nik

Attached Images

scrappynik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 3, 2006, 9:27 AM   #2
DBB

scrappynik wrote:
Quote:
I took this photo of the swan and its reflection this past Sunday :-) and am quite pleased with the results. Comments very welcome!

Nik

Wonderful shot! Swans can always make a good picture with the right angle. I would give a critique if you like, but I like the image...

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2006, 12:28 PM   #3

Thanks for the comment! Critique all you want DBB I am here to learn afterall :-)

Nik
Old Aug 3, 2006, 1:56 PM   #4
DBB

scrappynik wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the comment! Critique all you want DBB I am here to learn afterall :-)

Nik
You don't say what camera you used, but I would guess you shot in JPEG. If you had used RAW you could have gotten back the highlights.

Of, if your camera allows you can set it to a 2/3 to one stop exposure compensation - meaning that the meter is looking at the entire frame to decide the exposure - and the pure white of the Swan, gives a false reading.

Another possibility to use spot metering, if the camera allows, and that would give a more accurate reading.

Pure black or pure white is always a difficult challenge!

I like the composition. Probably the Swan didn't fit in the frame? It's always better to leave some room (which you did) in the direction the bird is facing.

But, if possible, it's best to capture the entire bird and then make the cropping decision later...

But I like the image!

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2006, 3:15 PM   #5

Hi Dave. I used a Kodak P850. I had just purchased it two days prior to taking the photo so I really wasn't too comfortable trying out all the manual settings and whatnot (I'm still exploring the camera and settings). I didn't do any cropping to the photo...I really wish I would have gotten it's entire body in the shot though and I didn't really notice that flaw until I uploaded it to my computer. Thanks so much for the critique/info :-)

Nik