Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Aug 28, 2006, 1:10 AM   #1
djb

Wow, it's been a while since looking in this discussion forum!!! Can't believe all the fantastic shots I've been looking at!!! Here's a few small bird pics I've taken the last few weeks.

dennis

1. This house wren flew across the swamp just to scold me and then flew back. Unfortunately the only 2 shots I got was with a branch in front of it.

Attached Images

djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 28, 2006, 1:12 AM   #2
djb

2. I was trying to photograph a chicadee when this catbird flew in and chased the chickadee away and played hide 'n seek with me for 3 shots.

Attached Images

Old Aug 28, 2006, 1:14 AM   #3
djb

3. This kingfisher wouldn't come too close. But, it did pose for a while.

Attached Images

Old Aug 28, 2006, 1:17 AM   #4
djb

4. Cedar Waxwings were around by the dozens but, none wanted to get within 50 yards unless it was sitting way up in the trees above me. But, this one was brave and got closer.

Attached Images

Old Aug 28, 2006, 1:19 AM   #5
djb

5. I'm pretty surethis is an eastern wood peewee even though it was out in a swamp.

Attached Images

Old Aug 28, 2006, 2:20 AM   #6

Nice kingfisher, Dennis - [Name ?]
JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 8:04 AM   #7

Great Pee Wee shot! I also love the Kingfisher as well, my only nit picking on the Kingfisher is that the whites in the neck are blown which is easy to do with these guys, I know I have done it many times. I was wondering where you went, you always post nice work here.

Oops, I had to edit this because I forgot about the Catbird shot, also nice! I like the fact that your eye level on some of these shots, it really adds to the appeal for me, it shows that your making the effort to get a very nice shot when you have the opportunity. :-)
Buzzsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 10:42 AM   #8
djb

Jake, thanx!! It's a female belted kingfisher, if that's what you were asking.

Thanx Buzzsaw, yeah the white collar is blown on the kingfisher. :sadue to working nights, I get out mostly during midmorning and early afternoon which makes it more diffiult because of harsh lighting. The place I frequent most right now is a swamp area in Sudbury, Mass. Right now there are 7 to 9 great herons, dozens of night herons (mostly juveniles), an immature little blue heron, a snowy egret, green herons, great blue herons, loads of green winged teals and a couple of wrens (my favorites but hard to het clear and close), and lots of sandpipers and deer and coyotes. Some of these I'll post later. As for getting at "bird" level, it's hard due to all the high weeds around the water. That causes me to have to shoot down on a lot of critters. Even though all these great birds are there, they don't usually come in close enough to get a good shot. Oh, yeah, the assorted hawks (mostly redtails) and a couple of osprey frequent the area now as well as an assortment of little birdies. I love the place as it is quiet and I meet all sorts of people there. Gotta scoot.

dennis
Old Aug 28, 2006, 10:53 AM   #9

It sounds like you and I photograph in the same elements, the woods near water! Keep up the good work.
Buzzsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 11:39 AM   #10

Wow, I really like the picture of the king fisher, great shots
Boily is offline   Reply With Quote