Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Aug 29, 2006, 9:19 AM   #1

G'day all,

haven't posted much if anything at all in this section for ages. So here are two shots that might peak some peoples interest. Hopefully they are ok.

Tell me what you think. I would put them in C&C forum but I don't see the point anymore. I am sure those here whom I would prefer see it will comment, and of course all comments positive and negative are welcome.

Ollie

Ollie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 29, 2006, 9:31 AM   #2

Ollie, I like the fact that you are so open to C/C! In my opinion and thats all it is...

The first picture of the gull is nice, I just have never cared much for a "high key background" and you have basically no contrast between the sky and the gull.... that makes it tough for me.

The second pictures tone is very appealing to the eye, however the closest gull is OOF (out of focus)and that kinda throws it out of whack for me.

I do like your framing, especially the "opacity" done in the first one.

Regards,

Mike
Buzzsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2006, 7:54 PM   #3

I really like that first one, great effect :-)
Boily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2006, 8:57 PM   #4

Ollie, I like the both of them. I couldn't look at the first one for a very long time but I really like the effect. I can see Mike's point about the 2nd shot ... if the bird's wings were not up & be so dominant, I don't think that it would be that pronounced. Overall, the sepia is a great choice for that shot.

Ron
wadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2006, 11:34 PM   #5

G'day all,

thanks firstly for the comments. Secondly in response to those made. The first shot is I believe one of my first attempts at a highkey shot. It was also one of the first times I have had the chance to try it. For this reason I think I got lucky, but yes it isn't an easy shot to look at none stop. Visually though for me it is in some way meant to make you close your eyes and let your mind wonder a bit.

The out of focus gull in the second shot wasn't by choice. I could I suppose cut it out completely but I think I would lose a lot of perspective. I would have liked to of had the first gull in focus or at least with his wings down but that isn't what I got. The colour version is nice with nice deep blues on the water and blues with puffy whites in the sky but I found it to be too contrasting and too bright. So B&W then the sepia is what I came up with. As one person said elsewhere you fully expect Johnathan Livingston Seagul to come down and hand out his wisdom to the masses. Or perhaps the one with his wings up is him just landing and all concentration from the viewer perspective was on the crowd awaiting his arrival.

Who knows!!??

Ollie
Ollie77 is offline   Reply With Quote