Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Xtreme Makeover

Old Sep 19, 2006, 10:31 AM   #1

I was asked by work to photograph a new patient suite ... despiteI am not an interiors photographer by any stretch of the imagination. The rooms are gorgeous, mostly because of the view, but at high noon the window outside wasterribly bright. Recalling advice from these forums, I took two images, intentionallyexposing for each extreme. But I have no ideahow to begin combining them in a believeable way. Here are the two images, would someone mind taking me step by step how to do this? I shot them in RAW, and these are converted images. I have Photoshop CS2. THANKS!!!
Attached Images

urbanaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 19, 2006, 10:33 AM   #2

And the window. I tried my best to avoid the blown grass spots but I failed.
Attached Images

Old Sep 19, 2006, 11:15 AM   #3

Hi, Interesting and not something I've done before, I've played with it briefly in PSCS, and find I can't fully sync the two pictures, I'm guessing you didn't use a tripod. What I've been trying is to drag one shot on top of the other, and then tried scrolling through the blending modes, there is also the option of playing with the opacity of both layers to achieve a result. ... Hope this gives you some ideas, I don't have time at the moment to experiment further.
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2006, 1:06 PM   #4

Maybe this website can help you

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...amic-range.htm
Boily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2006, 1:17 PM   #5

That'll work. It doesn't line up exact, but it end up only a bit blurred, which is OK as long as it's only the background through the window. I did it in the GIMP, but you should have the same/similar tools in PS.

Open the two. Create a new layer in the room. In the window, select all, copy, and then go to the room file and paste it into the new layer (and the anchor layer). Next move the window layer to the top, and set the opacity for that layer to about 60%. Now you are going to do a layer move, using th move tool. I tried to line up the top of the chair on the right side of the window. I think my move was (8,-16) in pixels.

Once they're lined up, use the rectgular selection tool, and select the entire window area. It's almost a perfect rectangle. I tried to include the metal frame. Of course you'll get a corner of the chair as well. Invert selection. Cut. Now you have only the window left.

Now view it at about 800%, and use the erase tool to carefully erase the corner where it overlaps the chair. View it normal again, and just adjust the opacity until it looks good. Flatten image and save.

Attached Images

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2006, 1:27 PM   #6

One withthe window a bit darker:

Attached Images

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2006, 2:13 PM   #7

great suggestions! I was busy scratching my head in PSP while you guys were busy responding....I used the background eraser for my first quick & dirty edit. the BE pretty much doeswhat kenbalbari described doing in GIMP.
Attached Images

Old Sep 20, 2006, 3:33 AM   #8

Urbanaries,
I like your end result, it looks good.
urbanaries wrote:
Quote:
great suggestions! I was busy scratching my head in PSP while you guys were busy responding....I used the background eraser for my first quick & dirty edit. the BE pretty much doeswhat kenbalbari described doing in GIMP.
Old Sep 20, 2006, 7:25 AM   #9

OK, here's my go ... in the end I did a cutout of the window, dragged it on to a new layer of the room shot, free transform helped with the positioning, flattened the image then reset levels + slight contrast boost in curves. What do you think ?, works for me.
Attached Images

Old Sep 20, 2006, 8:39 AM   #10

i do like it! Great edit. You really made it seamless. This is so much fun though once you get going, one can rarely say, "ok, stop, it's done now!" LOL

My question now is whether to go with the brighter silvery window frame, or the darker one. In this one, I made somewhat of a compromise, and applied a gaussian blur and color edits to the scene in the window.

What do you think?

Attached Images