Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Xtreme Makeover

Old Sep 19, 2006, 7:58 PM   #1

Hello,

Can somebody brighten the photo and then remove noise and then please tell me how you did it????????

help appreciated.

shooting_rubber.
shooting_rubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 20, 2006, 1:11 AM   #2

Using PS7, I went Image>Mode>Lab Color. I converted to Lab color because it's good at lessening or eliminating chromatic noise. After conversion, I clicked on the Channels tab on the layer palette and highlighted the "A" channel. Then I chose Gaussian Blur from the filter menu and chose a high enough value to smooth out the graininess in the "A" channel -- I think it was around 6 pixels in this case. Then I highlighted the "B" channel and applied the same blur. That cleaned up the chromatic (color) noise fairly well, but there was still a lot of luminence noise. The Despeckle filter didn't do much in that regard, so I figured I'd have to export to Neat Image (a stand-alone noise removal program) later.

As long as I was in Lab mode, I brought up the curves tool and used the black and white point eyedroppers in the curves dialog, clicking the black dropper on the darkest black I could find in the image and the white dropper on the lightest white. That lightened the whole thing up quite a bit. I then clicked the little arrow in the dialog next to where it showed "Lightness" so that I could chose the other channels("A" and "B"). There are two little points in the A and B grids -- one in the bottom left and one in the top right. If you drag these sideways, you increase the saturation of the color the dot is associated with. I ended up dragging each of the four dots (two for the "A" channel and two for the "B" channel) about 30 points. If you drag them all the same amount, you maintain the same color balance. Of course, you can change the color balance any way you want, but I just increased the colors as they stood. There wasn't much color to work with!

Anyhow, I then clicked okay, flattened the image with the flatten command from the layer palette and saved the image.

I opened up Neat Image (the free version) and imported the pic and used the "create profile from image" to get the noise profile and then applied it to the picture. It did a pretty good job on the remaining luminense noise. I could have just left the whole noise removal job to Neat Image, but I wanted to keep the whole thing in PS if I could. Oh, well....There was too much left over luminence noise!

The last step after resaving from Neat Image was some sharpening in PS. All noise reduction softens the image a little. Neat Image has a sharpening function, but I like selective sharpening. I've been playing with High Pass sharpening, so I opened the image in PS again, made a duplicate layer (layer 1) with Control+J, and went Filter>Other>High Pass. I think I chose a value of something like 5 pixels and clicked okay. I then changed the layer blend mode of layer 1 to Overlay by clicking the little arrow button next to the layer mode box in the upper left part of the layer palette and choosing this from the pop-up menu. The blend mode change is what turns the weird-looking High Pass layer into a sharpening layer.

I then added a layer mask to layer 1 by clicking the little layer mask icon on the bottom of the layer palette and filled it with black using the bucket tool. That hid the effect of the High Pass sharpening. Then, to only apply the sharpening where it was useful -- like on the people and other areas like the floor lettering -- I chose the brush tool and switched the foreground color from black to white (clicking in between the black and white boxes at the lower left of the screen) and painted white on the black layer mask anywhere I wanted the sharpening effect to show through. You can also vary the opacity of the brush to give you different levels of effect. General sharpening can just emphasize noise in areas that really don't benefit from the sharpening, so I like selective sharpening.

When I finished painting, I just flattened the image and saved.

I know that I left out some detail in this explanation, but it's a compromise to writing a book. I hope that sense can be made of it even with the gaps.

Grant

Edit: Hmm, I wonder if bluring all that chrominence noise leached all the color out of the picture? The original post is much better saturated. I might have to try letting Neat Image do all the noise removal and see if there's more color left over.....
Attached Images

granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2006, 2:17 AM   #3

Man! Did I go around the block for nothing!

I just redid it and used Neat Image first, then imported to PS to do a simple levels adjustment consisting of dragging the right-hand (highlight) slider to the left until it just bit into the right margin of the histogram! That's it! Nicely lightened!

I did the High Pass sharpening last. By the way, the amount was actually two pixels for the High Pass.

That LAB chromatic noise blurring doesn't have any other visible effect on my full-sized images except reducing noise! Maybe on small, low-rez images like this it harms more than just the noise....

Grant
Attached Images

granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2006, 3:23 AM   #4

In PSCS, applied noiseware pro filter, then used the Shadow/Highlight tool to lighten the picture + Curves to slightly boost contrast + final light noise filtering.
Attached Images

jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2006, 5:02 PM   #5

Noise= Neat image

Photoshop= Shaddow/highligh + contrast

Result:

Attached Images

Boily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2006, 8:29 PM   #6

is this a good edit????

shooting_rubber..

┬ęBrenden.

shooting_rubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2006, 8:23 AM   #7

1.Neat Image: remove noise, enhanced light, contrast and gamma

2.ACD FotoCanvas: Auto-Correct

3.Neat Image (again) remove noise (again)
Attached Images

geutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2006, 6:49 AM   #8

the best i can do

scorpionfish

Attached Images

scorpionfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2006, 12:58 PM   #9

Of the list, I'd probably vote for Granthagen's then Boily's edits.

The thing you need to watch out for is applying too much noise reduction - then people start to look like they're made of plastic. At least one of the edit attempts posted here creates that affect.

Grant and Boily's examples are about the best you can do given the underexposure and noise issues in the original photo. Further processing just makes it look weird.

In order to end up with a more usable finished photo you need to get the exposure closer in-camera.That presents it's own issues as you are aware (slower shutter speeds or higher ISO or both).

But at the end of the day, IMO a photo with some noise in it but still looking real is better than a photo with all noise removed but the people look like plastic dolls.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2007, 4:12 AM   #10

Agreed to JohnG point of view,
Moral of the story:- image editing software is not the answer to correct the badly shaped picture.
mcliu is offline   Reply With Quote