Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Xtreme Makeover

Old Oct 26, 2006, 9:06 AM   #1

Because I have a decent camera set up and take decent action shots, I somehow let myself get talked into taking team and individual pictures of a young girls basketball team my neighbor coaches.

I have a Canon digital rebel xt, sigma external flash and diffuser, Canon 85mm f1.8 lens and Sigma 28 - 70mm f2.8 and a tripod.

I am attaching a few sample shots I took last night. The EXIF info should be attached to the photos. These pictures are out of the camera but cropped for this forum and were taken using the Sigma lens.

The conditions I am shooting in are a meeting room, no outside light, fluroscent lighting, gray background.

The sample shots were taken using the Sigma lens. Most of the shots I took using the external flash and the diffuser are seriously overexposed

I am hoping that someone more experienced with this kind of thing can give me an idea of what settings they would start with and give me some comments on the samples attached and what I might have done differently. They just look flat to me.

Interested in knowing what shutter speeds you might look for, what aperature setting you would use, white balance settings, etc . Also when taking the team shots would you use the ADEP setting to insure everyone is in focus? What metering setting would you use? These are the kind of things I need some help with.

It is questionable as to wether I will be able to use the Canon lens because the room is smallish so I may be forced to stick with the Sigma. I do also have the kit lens.

I have a pretty good grasp on general photography and action photography but taking individual shots in a "sterile" enviornment is a whole new world to me. Any thoughts you guys can share would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a ton!
Attached Images

davidreeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 26, 2006, 9:08 AM   #2

2 of 4
Old Oct 26, 2006, 9:10 AM   #3

3 of 4
Attached Images

Old Oct 26, 2006, 9:11 AM   #4