Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Xtreme Makeover

Old Feb 27, 2007, 12:46 PM   #11

Hm, the problem is the "blur" factor. The more you go for sharpness the more you loose the original "photo" feeling and end up with an artificial looking thingie.

Hard to decide when to stop.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2007, 1:29 PM   #12

thkn777 wrote:
Quote:
Hm, the problem is the "blur" factor. The more you go for sharpness the more you loose the original "photo" feeling and end up with an artificial looking thingie.

I agree. There is no way without sufficient image information to make it look like it has decent resolution.

It just looks painted without noise. I wouldn't have thought of adding noise if it hadn't been included in the Blow Up dialog. I see you already knew to add it. Adding noise is counter intuitive, but it doesn't look like the source was a photo without it.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2007, 2:13 AM   #13

slipe wrote:
Quote:
thkn777 wrote:
Quote:

I agree. There is no way without sufficient image information to make it look like it has decent resolution.

It just looks painted without noise. I wouldn't have thought of adding noise if it hadn't been included in the Blow Up dialog. I see you already knew to add it. Adding noise is counter intuitive, but it doesn't look like the source was a photo without it.
Yep - I know that from creating panoramas. Adding just a tad noise or some "art" effects (only 5-10% opacity or even less) can make quite a difference when printing in bigger sizes.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2007, 9:23 AM   #14

I've added noise to a couple dozen or so images since I got Blow Up and this is the first it seemed to make any considerable difference. It seems to work best when there isn't enough detail.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote