Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Xtreme Makeover

Old Nov 17, 2006, 3:40 AM   #11

Fantastic !

Now I got a whole weekend to practise, thankyou very much.

Kit

kbruyns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2006, 7:39 AM   #12

Here's my take ... You can probably extract easily from this background, and then choose your own
Attached Images

jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2006, 7:55 AM   #13

Meiko wrote:
Quote:
Urbanaries, I like your first edit too. Did you desaturate her skin only, or was there more involved

i hate it when firefox won't let me type outside the quotes, but here goes

i did a copy layer (multiply blend mode) and then applied a gaussian blur to that layer, then a copied again (screen blend mode) and desaturated minus her eyes
then selected the skin quick mask and smoothed it a bit
urbanaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2006, 12:13 PM   #14

lol wow!nice work everyone:lol:i've only just found this thread cause i happened to be looking in this sectionThanks for the comments of my GF too she'll be very flattered
Redsquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2006, 3:19 PM   #15

jachol wrote:
Quote:
Here's my take ... You can probably extract easily from this background, and then choose your own
i quite like this edit. I think its starting to look more surreal with the harder tones and contrast.

did you use a feathering method of extraction. ??
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2006, 1:56 AM   #16

Yay! photoshop fun. Me too me too! (sorry, I couldn't resist)
Attached Images

Ammut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2006, 6:15 AM   #17

kenmck15 wrote:
Quote:
jachol wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

i quite like this edit. I think its starting to look more surreal with the harder tones and contrast.

did you use a feathering method of extraction. ??
Quote:
Hi Ken,
Quote:
I tried your method first, but since I wanted to get rid of the couch also, I couldn't get the contrast I wanted in any of the channels ... so I tried a Russel Brown method ... Duplicate the base layer, then opened an adjustment layer and selected the channel mixer, switched this to mono output, and juggled all the colour channel sliders for best contrast, you can then enhance this in levels, and follow with thedodge tool to whiten the highlights + the burn tool darken shadows then painted black on the mask centre area to complete the masking ... selected all + copy merged to an alpha channel before converting to a selection
Quote:
I think the much lighter background I used contributes to stark effect, increases contrast and hardness as you say, but my aim was to produce something that was easily extractable, that Redsquare could apply to his chosen background, I could have used a transparent back ground of course
Old Nov 18, 2006, 7:29 AM   #18

Hi Jachol, That is exactly what i'm going to do but havent had much time for photoshopwill post them when done
Redsquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2006, 8:50 AM   #19

Look forward to seeing your results. ... Jack :-)
Old Nov 18, 2006, 2:50 PM   #20

jachol wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi Ken,
Quote:
I tried your method first, but since I wanted to get rid of the couch also, I couldn't get the contrast I wanted in any of the channels ... so I tried a Russel Brown method ... Duplicate the base layer, then opened an adjustment layer and selected the channel mixer, switched this to mono output, and juggled all the colour channel sliders for best contrast, you can then enhance this in levels, and follow with thedodge tool to whiten the highlights + the burn tool darken shadows then painted black on the mask centre area to complete the masking ... selected all + copy merged to an alpha channel before converting to a selection
I just used the same technique and played with channels in 2 differnet layers to eliminate the couch. I think if the image was higher res the end result could be flawless.

I agree that the lighter backing gie the image more punch

ken
Attached Images

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote