Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Xtreme Makeover

Old Nov 19, 2006, 4:11 AM   #21

Well that certainly worked well Ken. I've go to admit it's not a technique I've used often, I have to really concentrate, and virtually feel my way through the process. Adding another mask as you did, then combining the two together would tax my proficiency more than somewhat. It does become a rather long winded process, I'm going to give it a try later. I agreehigher res helps greatly. ... Jack.
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2006, 12:43 PM   #22

Heres my background change. Looks loads better in my opinion

What do you all think?
Redsquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2006, 12:53 PM   #23

I like it, works well ... what does GF think ?. ... Jack.

Redsquare wrote:
Quote:

Heres my background change. Looks loads better in my opinion

What do you all think?
Old Nov 20, 2006, 1:24 PM   #24

She hasn't seen it yet Jack, I'll show her it when i see her. She liked the other ones especially the one style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"youhave edited. She said her eyes look superb
Old Nov 20, 2006, 4:14 PM   #25

another idea - Ronny
Attached Images

rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2006, 3:32 AM   #26

Redsquare wrote:
Quote:
She hasn't seen it yet Jack, I'll show her it when i see her. She liked the other ones especially the one i have edited. She said her eyes look superb
Glad she liked the eyes, I did a little work there ...whitened them + slight saturation of eye colour, accentuated the pupils, and finally selective sharpening of eyes + eyebrows. ... Jack.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 12:50 PM   #27

Well i showed her thae pic last night and she thinks its pretty good.My sister said can you do one of her if i put a picture up:idea:
Old Nov 21, 2006, 1:24 PM   #28

jachol wrote:
Quote:
Well that certainly worked well Ken. I've go to admit it's not a technique I've used often, I have to really concentrate, and virtually feel my way through the process. Adding another mask as you did, then combining the two together would tax my proficiency more than somewhat. It does become a rather long winded process, I'm going to give it a try later. I agreehigher res helps greatly. ... Jack.

um wel it something i learnt about a week ago and i have only used it in a practical sense about 4 times. this being my 4th. I found it quite easy to find teh blends and combinations to get that final result.

Ofcourse the couch required much more fine tuning but i got the combination in the end.

In total i would say the extraction took about 5 - 10 mins max. Im sure if you spent a bit more time and got out a freehand lasso and touch it up the end result could be even cleaner.

I think it is definately worth the time to take creating accurate selections. Ofcourse if you use layers for each component of your shot, life is very very easy when perfrming other adjustments. the final shots also reflects this by its authenticity. Its also very easy to save this file as a master and use a varity of editing techniques to really get a variety of end results.

In total i used a base layer and 2 extraction layers for masking. so still a very small number of layers to wrk with. I gues if i started to touch other attributes of the shot (levels, saturation, selective sharpeningetc) this would result in more layers.

I think its so important to have a cleanselection for any type of pp work. dodgey selection shows as soon as enhancments etc are applied and instantly cheapens the final edit. Especially in situations where backings are replaced.

but with everything in ps there are probably 101 ways to perform the same task. I think its just figuring out which of thoses 101 ways works best for a particular images context and satisfies the look you want in your final result. I usd this technique becasue i could see its easy potential for use on the basic backing above the hair and i was keen to develop this new skill. But as you mentioned the couch seemed much more complicated but i gave it a shot anyways.

Again thanks for sharing, its very interesting to se other ppls takes on images and pp techniques. I think this sort of thing is great to learn and develop skills.

thansk again

ken

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2006, 1:25 PM   #29

Redsquare wrote:
Quote:
Well i showed her thae pic last night and she thinks its pretty good.My sister said can you do one of her if i put a picture up:idea:
Well !, what can I say ... Of course I'll give it a go, I feel a little embarassed really, I'm sure there are others who'll try too. ... Jack
Old Nov 21, 2006, 1:46 PM   #30

Hi Ken, Got to agree with your comments, there's often many ways of achieving the same result in PS, and sometimes I think I get confused between them. I've been using PS for a couple of years, and still feel I know only a few percent of it's possibilities. I appreciate you sharing comments also, and you're welcome to mine. I haven'texperimented further with the technique, been busy with family commitments. Cul ... Jack