Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Xtreme Makeover

Old Jan 7, 2007, 12:12 PM   #1

A co-worker approached me with this portrait and asked it I think it could be restored. Well, I took on the challenge and said YES.....

How do you think I did? Any comments are welcomed. I am posting the origial and the restored portrait.
Attached Images

Bagsfan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2007, 12:13 PM   #2

Restored Portrait
Attached Images

Old Jan 7, 2007, 12:51 PM   #3

Nice job on the cloning. I started with your restored version and brightened it up a little. Yours reflects the old character of the photo and I don't disagree with the treatment. But I would personally be inclined to bring it back closer to the original rather than the aged photo.
Attached Images

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2007, 3:59 PM   #4

Pretty good! The background could still use some work (or you could replace it).

Attached Images

Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2007, 5:48 PM   #5

hey thought i would give this one a go as im always up for some photoshop, my tactic was to replace the background and than alter the portrait to repair any marks, than i went over the face lightly with some blur techniques to remove some of the jpeg artifacts that were present and than altered the colours, anyway heres my attempt.
Attached Images

borrie869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2007, 5:56 PM   #6

Thank you both for comments and examples..... I really want to learn more about restoring photos.......

Slipe --- Nice work ....How did you get the original color of the photo??? What version of Photoshop did you use? Can you explain the steps of doing this?

borrie869 -- I like this technique. Is there a way to send me a step by step way on how to do this???
Old Jan 7, 2007, 7:08 PM   #7

Actually the face had already been colorized in the original photo. I added the green in the uniform. Photoshop CS.

Unsharp mask: amount 16, radius around 160.
Auto levels
Select uniform and add green with 20% opacity.

The last is my guess as to what the background might have been like in a formal portrait. Just selected the background and added some Gaussian blur. Then some smudge and a little saturation increase.

The uniform needs some cleaning up but I'm reluctant to mess with it any more and lose detail.

Attached Images

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2007, 5:04 AM   #8

borrie869 wrote:
Quote:
hey thought i would give this one a go as im always up for some photoshop, my tactic was to replace the background and than alter the portrait to repair any marks, than i went over the face lightly with some blur techniques to remove some of the jpeg artifacts that were present and than altered the colours, anyway heres my attempt.
Sorry to intrude, but I just thought I'd say - That is unbelievable.
StevenC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2007, 7:39 AM   #9

borrie869 -- It is very interesting that you did the same thing with the eyebrow that I did at first...... In the original, the eyebrow is kind of rough looking and not straight. Well, at first, I made the eyebrow look nice just like you did...... When my co-worker saw the photo, she asked, "What did you do to his eyebrow? His eyebrow was not that pretty. He was in alot of fights." When I was touching up the eyebrow, I thought I was doing something good.....

I am not telling you that the photo is bad.... you see from my message above that I LOVE the way you restored it..... and I am using the photo that I restored his eyebrow to look pretty in my portfolio..... I think it looks much better.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 7:53 AM   #10

the funny thing is i didnt even realise i had done it untill you mentioned it, i would have been zoomed in on the eye and seen it and thought it was a mark in the photo. i will try to write up the process i went through after but for the moment im not thinking straight enough to do so
borrie869 is offline   Reply With Quote