Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Xtreme Makeover

Old Feb 25, 2007, 8:34 PM   #1
j2x

This photo was taken at a wedding recently and unfortunately the person taking the picture is unaware of focus time in older model digicams. I tried doing a Google search for "fixing out of focus photos" and I found a previous post in these forums concerning almost the same dilemma. I tried the various software packages that people recommended to no avail. If it had to do with installing 10 miles of fiber optic cable in a not so network friendly environmentit would be a snap, but I simply lack the skills to accomplish this task. Therefore Iam throwing myself at the mercy of those who are better equipped to handle this. The original photo is bigger than the alotted post size, so if anyone is able to fix this resized version and would be willing to work on the original so it can be printed I would be ever so grateful. I've read most of the other posts concerning this issue and seen the results of the members of these forums and I just want to say that the results I've seen were absolutely incredible. I am not asking for perfection by any means, I was a photography minor in college and I know good and well that if there isn't much to work with on the negative level then you'd better not get your hopes up. All I'm asking for is anyone's best attempt.

I just want to thank anyone and everyone in advance, I know you have better stuff to do with your time than to fix other peoples stuff, but if you're anything like me you enjoy the challenge.

J-
Attached Images

j2x is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 26, 2007, 6:13 AM   #2

Hi, I've played with this one for quite a while with focus magic, but I suspect you've lost a lot of picture info due to the amount of .jpg compression you have on the file, we might do better with a full sized original. Best I've got is below, and personally I wouldn't be satisfied with that. ... Jack
Attached Images

jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2007, 4:26 PM   #3

I have yet to see anything that could really repair that amount of blur. The best option I could think of would be to have the detail manually painted back in which could take quite a bit of time and effort.

Attached Images

Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2007, 6:04 PM   #4

MAXXED OUT
Attached Images

MINOLTANUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2007, 10:45 PM   #5

It is too out of focus to really get a good sharp end result but you could play with it.
Attached Images

pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2007, 10:53 PM   #6

This is what I could do with it and I've tried to do this to my out of focus photos.
Attached Images

Old Feb 26, 2007, 10:54 PM   #7

Sorry about the noise, photoshop can only do so much and I don't have any of those noise removal progs.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 3:12 AM   #8

pagerboy wrote:
Quote:
Sorry about the noise, photoshop can only do so much and I don't have any of those noise removal progs.
Hi, A lot of what you are calling noise are .jpg artifacts due to the file compression in the sample provided, noise filtering wont shift that. With the original full size image that could be eliminated, and a reasonable result obtained. ... My 2 cents worth.
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2007, 11:59 AM   #9
j2x

WOW!!!! Thank you all SOOO much!!!! I hadn't checked back in 2 days because I didn't think there would be much of a response, MAN, was I wrong. You all are awesome, I just wish I had the skills to try this on my own. If anyone is interested in me emailing the original to you so that you can try to fix IT versus the upload just send me a message and I will get it to you.

Again, the attempts to fix this photo were all excellent, I'm sorry that I couldn't provide a better original to work from, the forums file size limitation prohibited me from doing so.

I really appreciate everyones help and input.

If anyone else wants to give it a shot please feel free to do so, I don't want anyone to think that I've given up just yet, this is still pretty important to me.

J-
j2x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2007, 1:14 PM   #10

I tried deconvolution with Image Analyzer and it didn't do as good a job as jachol did with Focus Magic. So I used Jack's focused image and took some of the rough edges off. Hope he doesn't mind. It still fits his "personally I wouldn't be satisfied with that" but might print a tad better in a very small size.

The camera compressed it then you compressed it again after the resize. Then Jack compressed the focused image and I am compressing his. All that compression isn't a help.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote