Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Xtreme Makeover

Old Mar 8, 2007, 2:51 PM   #11

I'd like to try getting a higher quality fix made for ya, but as a rule I never give out my email address to people I don't know personally.

I thought I'd give sharebigfile.com a try. I posted my CS2 PSD file there, so you can try downloading it and see what I did.

http://www.sharebigfile.com/file/104...photo-zip.html

(edit: changed the link. hope nobody clicked on the last one, it would have deleted the file)

At the bottom of the page there a picture of a number in different colors. Just type it in the box and hit submit to start the download.

To upload a file, go to the site, hit "Browse" to choose a file, check the "Agree to Terms" box and submit it. You don't need any kind of login information.

If you're wary about posting a link to your higher resolution photos in a public forum, just PM the address to me and anyone else you might want to have working on it.

Creeduk, thanks for the crits. I spent about an hour on the thing last night, posted it and went to bed. I haven't had the chance to look at it again with fresh eyes which is what you often need to start noticing certain details.

The teeth and eyes shouldn't be too much trouble, though I wonder if the teeth on the rest of the family should be whitened a bit.

Adjusting the shoulders helped with the neck, but obviously it's still bent somewhat. I didn't want to go and try fixing this before getting a higher resolution image because that is something I'd have to do over from scratch. I guess it would require separating the head from the neck, and the neck from the body and reposition them all in relation to each other, then blending them together afterwards. Would you suggest any easier or more effective techniques?

I'm not sure what you mean by a cleaner separation. I made the edges about as sharp as the rest of the people, with a slight blur around the hair. Please describe what you are seeing.

The hair color thing I'm just not sure about. JC, is her hair supposed to be the same color as her sister's, or is it darker? You'll need to clue me in on how accurate it is.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2007, 4:45 PM   #12

Teeth, yeah you can go either way I would probably meet in the middle.

Separation, I looked again in more detail and yes it is good it just looked too sharp along the mother shoulder but looking there is only a minor wrinkle that was missed, I would maybe even consider introducing one or 2 for a more real feel. Sometime we have to fake reality to make it look real.The light dress does not help as it draws the eye too much so maybe reducing the exposure might help.

Head and shoulders, separation is one way and move around, I would be tempted to copy her sisters posture I would even test using her body and just altering the dress shade or color as you may get a better fit. I would use her neck as well at least to see if it worked.

Hair, I think if you get it closer to her sisters, looking at the image I felt she had a very similar shade but the original lighting altered the look.

I did not mean to be over critical hope you did not take it that way, as overall you have done a very credible job with a limited resolution. I would probably take a crack myself but I am so snowed under at work.
creeduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2007, 4:59 PM   #13

Hey, I totally understand the email thing. Wise course of action. Here are the two original files:

http://www.sharebigfile.com/file/104...97-1--jpg.html

http://www.sharebigfile.com/file/104...etler-JPG.html

Oh, her hair is the same color in real life, it wouldn't hurt to be a bit darker. Also her head seems too big (a little too wide).

Lemme know if you have more questions.

Thanks,

jc :G
jjc30d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2007, 9:22 PM   #14

The family photo looks much better now. The sister photo, however, looks like it was only a crop. I don't know if there's much of a quality difference, and in high resolution it might actually appear even worse.

I'll take a crack at it probably some time tomorrow. I'm off to catch the midnight show of 300 and will have to be there early to get a seat.
Old Mar 9, 2007, 3:02 AM   #15

Well, here's the final.

http://www.sharebigfile.com/file/105...oto-2-jpg.html

It could be better, but I think I've spent enough time on this one. It's too bad the shot of the sister wasn't taken from much closer. She isn't nearly as sharp in that image as the rest of the family members are.

Attached Images

Old Mar 9, 2007, 3:05 AM   #16

Here's a before/after image to illustrate the amount of cleaning up I did. The image on the left was after all the adjustments and repairs I did on the first edit as well as the new edits to correct the posture. I used a combination of smudging and duplicate layers with masked areas of unsharp mask to both clear away noise and blemishes, but to also try and add some sharpness and detail.

Attached Images

Old Mar 9, 2007, 9:13 AM   #17

Very good job on the clean up of the sister corpsy.

I threw one together using the methods I mentioned and although not totally happy I think it works. Corpsy is right about the quality of the sisters picture if only it had been a close up of upper body the job would be a lot easier.

A great tip for shooting these situations is to have a stand in, you get someone to stand in the location to be filled it helps with spacing and shadows fro the original shot. If for instance her sister had taken a shot in place then moved to occupy a spot that is to be reserved for her missing sister and the photo shot again between these 2 shots and the missing person shot you can get some good results.

Attached Images

creeduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2007, 1:24 PM   #18

Man! You guys have done some awesome work! I really appreciate it (so does the Shetler family, they aren't used to such "amazing wizardry"). A special thanks to "Corpsy for his totally impressive work!

Thanks,

Old Mar 9, 2007, 2:05 PM   #19

JC, thanks, I'm glad you and the Shetler family like it.

Creeduk, that's an interesting approach. I never thought to try using a mirrored copy of the first sister's head as a base. It does resolve the noise and lighting issues to a good extent. After getting all the features in place, it probably wouldn't be terribly difficult to liquify it to more closely match the shape of her face. I'll keep that one in mind next time I see a project like this, thanks.
Old Mar 9, 2007, 3:12 PM   #20

Yeah Creeduk, that raised some eyebrows here. Steve (the dad) couldn't get over it.... Delore's hair on Juanita's face, imagine that!

Thanks again,

p.s.

:ak47:

p.s.s.

I just had to post that AK-47 dealie.....pretty cool.