Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Xtreme Makeover

Old Mar 7, 2007, 4:27 PM   #1

I took this family photo for some friends of mine. There daughter is in El Salvador working at an Orphanage. They wanted me to "drop" a photo of her in this one, so she would be in it. This was beyond my expertise, so here it is for ya'll.

She is supposed to go between/behind the mom (with glasses) and the "other" daughter (in the blue dress). Note: she is a liittle bit shorter than the girl in the blue dress.

I'll include the pic of the daughter in another post, as they wouldnt let me include both here.

Thanks,

jc :G

jjc30d is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2007, 4:43 PM   #2

Okay, had some probs. Heres the family pic.

Thanks,

Attached Images

Old Mar 7, 2007, 4:46 PM   #3

Heres the pic of the daughter.

Thanks,

Attached Images

Old Mar 8, 2007, 1:16 AM   #4

Would it be possible to provide higher resolution images with less compression? These images are pretty damaged and even if the final edit looks ok, it probably won't even be suitable for a 4x6 print.

If the file size limit is a problem, try using Photobucket.com. Just make sure you fit your file into their own size limit or it'll automatically resize it and that isn't good.

Or, you could try sending the original file through a site which can store it for you, like this one: http://www.sharebigfile.com/

I haven't tried that one myself though, so don't ask me for help on that.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2007, 2:21 AM   #5

Normally I wouldn't take on a project like this for someone so new to the forum, but I haven't had anything challenging to do in Photoshop for a while.

There were two major problems to deal with, both having to do with the fact that the second photo was shot in entirely different conditions. The lighting wasn't even close and the skin tones were very dark and flat. There is also green and red noise in the skin, though I'm not sure if that's from the cheaper camera or the excessive compression artifacts.

Trying to make an object look like it was in the same lighting conditions as a different scene is a difficult thing to do, but especially so with a person. I used 7 layers of adjustments to modify the skin tones as well as the highlights and shadows. I think it came out OK, but could have been a lot better with a higher quality original.

The second problem was that the second shot was taken where she was in a seated position rather than standing, leaning somewhat over a desk. This meant that when the sister was put into the scene, her shoulders were much too high and she appeared to be hunched over. I fixed this by erasing some of her shoulders into a more natural looking pose.

Let me know if it looks OK.
Attached Images

Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2007, 10:11 AM   #6

To both:

A good start, but things to look at are
  • Teeth too white compared with the others [/*]
  • Eyes, too sharp and white [/*]
  • Neck position wrong (part of your original diagnosis with the shoulders) [/*]
  • Cleaner separation [/*]
  • Hair color not matching the light conditions.[/*]
I am sure you know all or most of the issues

jjc30d:the hardest thing with a piece like this is you KNOW where they have been added. A true test is take your finished work (if you try it) and show it to somebody who did not know they were missing if they don't comment or notice anything is wrong then you pulled it off.
creeduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2007, 11:43 AM   #7

I took a stab at it as well, noting the same difficulties with lighting and pose. Part of the difficulty with getting the skin tones to match is that two different cameras were used, and the tonal curves, particularly in the skin tones are quite different.

With that disclaimer, here is my attempt:

Attached Images

VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2007, 1:02 PM   #8

Thanks for posting this one JC, I enjoyed having a go just as an exercise, same problems as the other guys ... one difference might be that I used he liquify tool in an effort to correct the stance. ... Jack
Attached Images

jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2007, 1:12 PM   #9

Thanks so much everyone! I REALLY appreciate it! "Corpsy"(and everyone else) if you would like an uncompressed 8 mp copy of the photo to work on (about 4.5 mb) lemme know and I'll email it to you.

Thanks,

Old Mar 8, 2007, 1:17 PM   #10

Oh, any advice on how I could try to do this myself? I have CS2 and CS3 beta.

Thanks,