Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Xtreme Makeover

Old Apr 17, 2007, 4:15 PM   #1

I took this picture of myself, under artificial light in the office, with the self-timer and without the flash.

I like it very much, the way it turned out, but I still wonder how much can it be "repaired". I tried to tamper with it, but I wasn't so pleased with the results.

i just want it to look as natural as possible.

Thank you!
Attached Images

geutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 17, 2007, 5:08 PM   #2

Tried some colour correction.
Attached Images

normjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2007, 1:54 AM   #3

Thank you very much!

That is exactly the look I was hoping for.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 2:34 AM   #4

Norm, that's pretty impressive. Would you mind sharing your technique? I'm usually pretty good at this kind of work, but I couldn't seem to replicate your results. I like using the levels adjustment to re-balance the color channels, but I just couldn't pull out all the colors that you got, particularly the skin and hair colors. The only way I could see getting what you got would be by painting in all the different colors.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2007, 4:41 AM   #5

Thanks for responding geutz. Glad you like.

You're right Corpsy. Sorry, instead of putting down the first thing that came into my head to fill the text box, I should have mentioned there was all sorts of incoherent messing about done (including a bit of colouring on the hair). Might explain the missed purplish hues on face and hands:G If you or anyone has Photoshop CS onwards, I'd be interested to see what Chip Springer's Digital Grey Card action would make of this picture. It's at top ofselection of actions put at the bottom of this page and is a freebie : http://www.atncentral.com/download.htm I've seen impressive results with it on the dpreview retouching forum.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 1:31 PM   #6

Corpsy wrote:
Quote:
Norm, that's pretty impressive. Would you mind sharing your technique? I'm usually pretty good at this kind of work, but I couldn't seem to replicate your results. I like using the levels adjustment to re-balance the color channels, but I just couldn't pull out all the colors that you got, particularly the skin and hair colors. The only way I could see getting what you got would be by painting in all the different colors.
I've been having the same trouble Corpsy, can't get near to Norms result which is impressive, but from his comments a little unortodox, I'm wondering if the pic has had some prior processing. ... perhaps geutz can tell us. ... Jack.
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2007, 2:40 PM   #7

normjackson wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for responding geutz. Glad you like.

You're right Corpsy. Sorry, instead of putting down the first thing that came into my head to fill the text box, I should have mentioned there was all sorts of incoherent messing about done (including a bit of colouring on the hair). Might explain the missed purplish hues on face and hands:G If you or anyone has Photoshop CS onwards, I'd be interested to see what Chip Springer's Digital Grey Card action would make of this picture. It's at top ofselection of actions put at the bottom of this page and is a freebie : http://www.atncentral.com/download.htm I've seen impressive results with it on the dpreview retouching forum.
Thanks a lot for the clarification. When you simply labeled your fix, "Tried some color correction" and noticing how quickly you replied, I took that to mean a 2 minute levels adjustment. Your methods certainly don't detract from the result however. A less experienced user could spend hours trying to replicate what you did without nearly the same level of success.

Thanks for the link. I went ahead and installed it in CS2 to try it out. Your result was much better.

The action uses a lot of steps, but in principle what it's doing is rather simple. Here's how you can replicate what it does quite closely:

Open an image that needs color correcting.

Duplicate the background layer.

Apply an Average blur to the new layer.

Add a levels adjustment layer.*

Use the Set Gray Point dropper and click anywhere on the image; it will turn gray.

Deactive the second layer.

*If you are using an older version of Photoshop that doesn't use adjustment layers, you can achieve the same result by expanding the canvas size and expanding the blurred layer to fill the canvas, then putting the background layer on top. Use the gray point selector of the levels adjustment on the color around the border, then change the canvas size back to it's original size.

I'm guessing you probably know how to do a better job manually however, so I'm not sure you'd even want to bother with this technique.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2007, 4:20 PM   #8

Thanks Corpsy for trying out the action and describing those steps that approximate to it. I tried them out as best could (used massive radius Gaussian blur for Average blur?) and thought the result seemed pretty good. Guess the actioncould be a satisfactory one click solution in quite a lot of cases assuming it isn't thumb twiddlingly slow.
Didn't notice geutz had only just posted when I replied (thought the poor chap was being ignored :lol and was actually looking for that recent thread with the baby and clown picture. Guess there's been some server/incomplete backup crisis and that thread has been lost.

Thanks again :-D
Old Apr 19, 2007, 12:56 AM   #9

Corpsy wrote: [/b]
Quote:
I'm wondering if the pic has had some prior processing. ... perhaps geutz can tell us. ... Jack.
There was no prior processing on this particular photo; it's straight out of the camera, I only resized it.

I tried to repair it myself (working on a copy of the photo; I didn't want to lose the original, I like it blue) but I did not come even close to normjackson' s results. I managed to fix the colours, but the noise levels increased very much.

Thank you again, normjackson!
Old Apr 19, 2007, 11:05 AM   #10

geutz wrote:
Quote:
Corpsy wrote:
Quote:
I'm wondering if the pic has had some prior processing. ... perhaps geutz can tell us. ... Jack.
There was no prior processing on this particular photo; it's straight out of the camera, I only resized it.

I tried to repair it myself (working on a copy of the photo; I didn't want to lose the original, I like it blue) but I did not come even close to normjackson' s results. I managed to fix the colours, but the noise levels increased very much.

Thank you again, normjackson!
Ok geutz, staight from the camera, presumably you used auto white balance. The colour cast seems to be quite complex, a combination it seems of blue , green, and I think some cyan, at least my best result comes from using a curves adjustment layer, reducing blue , and green + a slight increase of red to reduce cyan. It's not perfect but in the time I've had available it's the best result I've had. ... Jack.
Attached Images

jachol is offline   Reply With Quote