Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Xtreme Makeover

Old May 24, 2007, 11:49 PM   #1

I took this in bright sunlight using the Shutter priority setting on my Sony H9. Shutter speed was set to 800, ISO 80 and F 4.5. The bird was darting around catching food. Would a faster shutter speed have been enough to make the bird come out sharper? What about the ISO setting?
Attached Images

Trish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 25, 2007, 12:45 AM   #2

Trish, I know little of this camera except that the reviews I have read are very impressive. After seeing your picture, it looks to me as if the camera missed focus on the bird and instead got the grass behind it. Were you using sports mode? This allows for continuous tracking of the moving subject. Or should I say darting... Sorry, maybe someone who owns this camera can tell what's going on here. Good luck...

Robert
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2007, 1:00 AM   #3

Thanks Robert. I love the camera so far. I just got it and obviously I have not really learned how to use it yet. I plan to go out again tomorrow and see if I can do better.
Attached Images

Trish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2007, 1:38 AM   #4

Nice ScissortailI grew up in west Texas and these birds were common. I used to find it amusing to watch as one would chase a hawk or crow out of its "airspace".

I would also suggest looking in the sony camera forum here for extensive dialogue on the H9, you may find it interesting.

Just an afterthought... Robert
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2007, 6:11 AM   #5

Hello Trish...
I have to agree with HW on your first shot...I think the camera focused on the grass behind the bird...What you might try is increasing your F stop to at least 8.0...That way your depth of field will be much wider and even if the camera picks up the grass your bird will still be in focus...When your F stop increases your shutter speed will drop some but keeping it close to 500 will still stop the action...
Your second bird shot is good....A little tip with both shots, if you have an editing program, go in and add a bit of contrast...This will make the colors pop on the shots...
john
John at the Beach is offline   Reply With Quote