Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Xtreme Makeover

Old May 28, 2007, 4:43 PM   #1

do you guys know how i can make this picture better as i am brand new and lucky it came out this good
Attached Images

brasfieldjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 28, 2007, 8:19 PM   #2

ok heres my take on things, first off i adjusted the levels then on a new layer i painted over the redness around the mouth with a tone from the skin and set to lighten at around 35% opacity, next thing was i removed some of the marks and hair around the face, and smoothed out the skin, to finish it all off i duplicated the layer and set it to soft light and added a gussian blur to give a soft effect all over
Attached Images

borrie869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2007, 10:09 PM   #3

what program did you use for that as i have some more pics taken that need lots of help
brasfieldjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2007, 10:21 PM   #4

im using photoshop cs2 but most good editors should be able to manage similar results
borrie869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2007, 9:12 AM   #5

I did a small LaB correction to get more punch to the eyes and dress, then back to RGB to address some of the grass, make the hay and the grass more interesting bringing out more of the yellows and reds. Then. Finally a small curves adjustment to add some punch.

Attached Images

creeduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2007, 9:21 AM   #6

A second and I think my favorite version used the same as above but a selective color change on yellow adding more black to increase contrast on the pumpkins.

Attached Images

creeduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2007, 8:54 PM   #7

To me, the only thing that needed tweeking was the color. It seemed to have a red overcast to it.
Attached Images

bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2007, 12:17 PM   #8

I inclined to agree with BMullen about the redness, but felt it applied mainly to the pumpkins, so I used the 'replace color' function in Photoshop Elements 2 to reduce their redness.

Then I thought the grass looked a bit too dark and needed to be a very slightly more yellow/green, so I used the 'replace color' function on the grass.

Finally - I was using a bigger version of the picture - I felt curious about what effect a little sharpening would have so I used a little Unsharp Mask on it. It brought out the sparkle in the eyes and made the check pattern in the dress show up, and seemed to add texture to the pumpkins.

When I resized the picture back to the original size, the effects of the Unsharp Mask seemed to be lost, so I made the picture a bit bigger again.
Attached Images

Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2007, 6:14 AM   #9

Here's my take ...
Set levels + slight colour correction + increased light in background areas with highlights and shadows adjustment... Duplicated background layer ... Overall sharpen on background ... added slight gausian blur to top layer then added layer mask ... painted black on mask to bring back focus on girls head and shoulders. Flatten image ... finally made a loose selection around the girls head and shoulder area + lots of feathering slight increase of saturation + contrast boost with curves, and added border for effect. ... Jack
Attached Images

jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2007, 6:18 AM   #10

And here's a larger one
Attached Images

jachol is offline   Reply With Quote