Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Xtreme Makeover

Old Sep 23, 2007, 2:54 PM   #11

I suggest you rescan the photo at 300% and also at 300 dpi. Im sure then there might be something to work from. Jachol has done a decent job considering what he had to work from. Also scan it as an rgb and not as a grayscale.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2007, 11:43 PM   #12

I gave this one a quick going over with Neat Image, and followed up with Photoimpact. There really isn't much detail, once the noise, scratches and spots are removed (or at least reduced). Here is my take. If someone can take it further, please do.

brian

edit: Had a few more minutes today to play, so I did some light smudging to even out the blotches a bit in the face, then cleaned up the dark smear on the dress a little. Some tonal adjustment around the eyes and mouth, and light sharpening of same. Still not great, but a bit of improvement over my first try
Attached Images

VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2007, 3:48 AM   #13

Here's my share to this thread... the image has very low resolution and nothing we can do much but only this. hope this will work for you.

Attached Images

scorpionfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2007, 10:43 PM   #14

ok i had a go at it, but as its been said before its just not high enough res to do much with but here is my attempt
Attached Images

borrie869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2007, 5:03 AM   #15

Bynx wrote:
Quote:
I suggest you rescan the photo at 300% and also at 300 dpi. Im sure then there might be something to work from. Jachol has done a decent job considering what he had to work from. Also scan it as an rgb and not as a grayscale.
Thanks Bynx,
I spent a fair bit of time to get this far, the picture info just isn't there in this scan. Goes to prove the old saying you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear, I will add I mean the state of the picture not the actual subject. ... Jack
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2007, 9:29 AM   #16

rescan the image at a higher res don't just resize it in software.
Attached Images

tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2007, 3:27 PM   #17
ELC

The original picture is a wallet size and trying to blow it up to 300 dpiwould really take out the detail considering its already an old picture as I have tried to take it up to 300 andtook it backto the low resolution to see what I could do but I appreciate what you could do to the picture despite the size.
ELC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2007, 4:29 PM   #18

ELC wrote:
Quote:
The original picture is a wallet size and trying to blow it up to 300 dpiwould really take out the detail considering its already an old picture as I have tried to take it up to 300 andtook it backto the low resolution to see what I could do but I appreciate what you could do to the picture despite the size.
I think you are missunderstanding something. If you rescan the original at 300dpi you will not loose detail you will add it. Do not resize or resample the image you aleady ave on your computer. Physicaly rescan the original paper photo at 300 dpi. do not change the size.
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote