Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Xtreme Makeover

Old Nov 21, 2007, 7:53 AM   #11

VTphotog wrote:
Quote:
*This forum isn't about great pictures. It is about trying out methods of improving (or at least changing) things.* It gives us all some experience, and is good for learning techniques and what programs are available. Look over some of the older posts, and watch how one person's change will give someone else an idea, etc.

*Please don't remove your photos just because some don't think they are great. As bases for people to try techniques on, they work fine, and under the circumstances, I don't think many of us would have done any better.

brian
I'll go with that Brian, guess we just proved that you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear, but nothing stops you trying. LOL. ... Jack
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2007, 8:15 AM   #12

I agree with you 100% VTphotog. I was looking at this exercise as trying to improve the quality of the picture. Some just cant be fixed but its always worth the effort keeping in mind the limits we have.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2007, 10:09 AM   #13

Well, to help anyone that wanted to take a stab at the two photo's I uploaded both RAW files to my site.

http://alterego.yfzcentral.com/

The files are IMG_3084 and IMG_3087 in the directory.
3RDI Creations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2007, 6:25 PM   #14
Administrator

Edit: Removed my first pass

This was one of your images converted from raw using Raw Therapee Version 2.2 with sharpening bumped up a tad with edge detection and halo control enabled. I also had color and luminous noise reduction enabled. I left the exposure a tad darker for this conversion.

Saved as JPEG and sharpened using the refocus algorithm in digiKam 0.9.2 Final before and after downsizing, with USM applied to the downsized image using this editor's default settings as a final step.

Attached Images

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2007, 7:23 PM   #15
Administrator

Another pass with settings tuned for a little lighter exposure with lower contrast.
Attached Images

Old Nov 28, 2007, 7:32 PM   #16

Holy cow....I can't believe this thread is still alive. :G

That's some nice work on the photo JimC. I keep opening up the image in CS3 and start to work on it but I give up quickly....next time I won't stand under the flight path of a Red Tail. :G
3RDI Creations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2007, 8:15 PM   #17
Administrator

I'd play with the sliders a bit and you can probably do better.

Try more than one converter, too (for example, the free Raw Therapee I just used to convert one of your raw files). Sometimes one converter will do better than another as a starting point with less tweaking, depending on the image.

Then, try some of the sharpening algorithms around to see if one can do better than another on it without too many unwanted sharpening artifacts. You'll find refocus plugins available for number of free editors like The Gimp, and you can probably tweak some of the settings and get better results.