Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Xtreme Makeover

Old Aug 16, 2008, 12:04 PM   #11

Hi Jack! Here is my go at it, I use Corel paint shop pro. I did a histogram adjustment and then used the burn tool on the midtones in the sky. Took 3 minutes.

Bob

Last edited by bhammitt; May 9, 2009 at 6:52 AM.
bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2008, 2:58 PM   #12

Well I using Elements 4.

First ran it through the auto-adjustments.

Seperated the image into to two (new layer with sky/mountain) at the trees using the selection options.

Adjusted the sky and added more blue.

Adjusted again slightly.

Ran a noise filter against the sky (because it was mottled).

Adjusted the plane portion a couple times (blew out the sky, but what did I care).

Saved it.
fofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2008, 11:59 AM   #13

I used PhotoImpact X3

First, I used the smart curves feature to brighten the picture

Second, I did more brightness and constrast control to seperate dark and light areas and add contrast.

Third, I used the highlight-midtone-shadow control to increase contrast even more

Fourth, I selected out the mountain and darkened it seperate from the rest of the picture.

Fifth, I added some red tint to the scene in order to give it a summer appearance.

Attached Images

TwiceWise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2008, 4:07 PM   #14

I know it's a dead thread, but I just saw it and had to have a go. My approach was just basic stuff in Photoshop.

Select the background
Three passes of defogging – USM with high radius and low amount.
Light touch of Neat Image
Selective color
Some smudging of leftover artifacts in sky
Inverse selection
Levels
Deselect
Lasso part of mountain for some sharpening

Were you using a polarizer? When you bring the sky out there is a big shift in intensity across the sky.
Attached Images

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2008, 4:10 PM   #15

For the crowd I just used Shadow/Highlight, Selective Color and a pass of defogging.

You might use spot metering where you want darker objects exposed properly when there is a bright background. You will burn out some of the bright background but that is probably preferable to having dark subjects unless you PP everything.

Attached Images

Old Oct 7, 2008, 6:15 PM   #16

Thanks slipe.

That is what I was hoping for; PHOTOSHOP7.0 advice/tips as that is what I have.

I was using a Sony H50 and had a poloarizer on it and in camera set for Vivid, 1/3 stop underexposed.

I am now using a dslr Olympus E-510 so I will be shooting & saving both RAW/jpeg with each shot from now on. With RAW if I'm correct, you can do a lot more in Photoshop with it. I'd like tips on that too for the future.

Thanks everybody for your go at this and advice!

jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2008, 10:19 PM   #17

With Photoshop 7 you have to buy Adobe raw unless you want to use another converter before pulling it into PS. It doesn't have native raw capability.

It also doesn't have Shadow/Highlight. If you intend staying with PS7 you might look for a tutorial on "contrast masking". It is what I used before PS added Shadow/Highlight.

Old Oct 7, 2008, 10:25 PM   #18

slipe wrote:
Quote:
With Photoshop 7 you have to buy Adobe raw unless you want to use another converter before pulling it into PS. It doesn't have native raw capability.

It also doesn't have Shadow/Highlight. If you intend staying with PS7 you might look for a tutorial on "contrast masking". It is what I used before PS added Shadow/Highlight.

OK then what do I use to work with and convert RAW to jpeg if PhotoShop 7 don't have it. The olympus program? I've read their not very good.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 5:32 PM   #19

slipe wrote:
Quote:

Doesn't the OLYMPUS Masterâ„¢ 2 software convert RAW to jpeg?

I have that program, but haven't used it yet. Then I can do the rest of the work needed in PhotoShop?
Old Oct 8, 2008, 6:08 PM   #20

For this photo I opened the "curves" dialog box selected the white eyedropper tool and clicked on the snow at the top of the Mt. That's it done. You'll be surprised how often that works you just have to click in an area you know should be pure white

Attached Images

tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote