Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Xtreme Makeover

Old Jul 26, 2008, 1:23 PM   #1

It was suggested by Mark1616Global Moderator that I come over here for advice!

Here is my problem. I'm trying to get the right exposure of the planes, peopleand yet get Mt. Rainier and the sky deep blue at the same time. Kind of hard with regular camera settings. I have a Sony DSC-H50

I have 24 photo's in here to play with. http://corvettec3.com/McChordAirExpo.htm

So, how can I use PhotoShop to enhance these better and what can I do on the actually shooting day (camera settings etc).

I have Adobe PhotoShop 7

Any advice and tips greatly appreciated.

jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2008, 11:07 PM   #2

It is practically impossible to get that much dynamic range into a single exposure with a digital camera, so many of us use exposure bracketing and then combine the bracketed shots into a single HDR image. It can also be done with post-processing, using levels, or shadows/highlights in photoshop.

Attached is a one-step fix using levels in photoshop Elements 3. Adjustments were made on RGB combined channel, with the white level set to 178 and the gamma to 1.5. I did resize to fit better and bring file size down.

brian
Attached Images

VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2008, 11:14 AM   #3

Circular polarizer would help cut out atmospheric haze and darken the sky as well. Split polarizer even.
Gerafix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2008, 12:15 AM   #4

Gerafix wrote:
Quote:
Circular polarizer would help cut out atmospheric haze and darken the sky as well. Split polarizer even.
I was using a circular polarizer.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 8:45 PM   #5

Probably over did it.
Attached Images

fofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2008, 10:04 PM   #6

Inbetween that and mine would be about perfect. What did you do in Photoshop to achieve that?
Old Aug 14, 2008, 9:07 AM   #7
spy

Here is my attempt at it.

Firstly I have cs3 but I used elements of it that I'm sure you have so I did nothing fancy with it's features I sorta knew you wouldn't be able to do with your program.

Photoshop has it's limitations even the cs3 program so I firstly depend on two other programs to bring out the best of my images.

With regard to your image the first thing to note is that it's a "high contrast photo". With regard to this "type" of photo the program best suited to bring out it's best is tone mapping through Photomatix - http://www.hdrsoft.com/

I took your image, created 9 different exposures of it but first bringing the your original image posted up to proper exposure levels using "levels" then saved it as image #1. I then made the 8 others +/- .5 degrees different to each other. (Photomatix explains this if your confused) Following that it generated an HDR image by merging and tone mapping in Photomatix those 9 images.

After which I then saved it's final HDR rendition then opened it in Photoshop.

The next program I used was Noiseware Pro to remove the noise that Photomatix enhanced by creating the HDR image.

Now were ready to see what Photoshop could do.

The only problem I could see that needed some help was to boost very slightly the "black" and "white" properties using levels. This made the snow on the mountain less "magenta". I then went into Hue/Saturation > magenta> saturation slider> minus all the way and this took out all the disscolor in the snow.

The next thing I did still in Hue/Saturation was to adjust the "cyan" and "blue" levels and there you have it.
Attached Images

spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2008, 9:31 AM   #8

Well spy... that is what I call advanced! Thanks for the tips. I am not sure about the first few things you did before you got to PhotoShop, but I know about Photoshops Hue/Saturation and have used it with good results.

Do you have any good online reading links on what you did?

Thanks for taking the time to help.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 9:25 AM   #9
spy

I can do you one better than "on-line" links cause most of my learning has not been that way. I'm not sure what you have there for book stores but my favorite up here is to go to my local Chapters or Indigo Book stores and pick out the photo magazines from the UK + Photoshop User mag. These magazines are high quality, high priced and the store also has a Starbucks or Second Cup Coffee cafe in them so with a stack of magazines in hand I walk over and grab a java, sit down in their lazyboy seats and kill an hour or so looking through them.

Doing this, you can't help but pick up a tip or two from them, take the ideas home and try them out!

Have fun!
spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2008, 9:37 AM   #10

spy wrote:
Quote:
I can do you one better than "on-line" links cause most of my learning has not been that way. I'm not sure what you have there for book stores but my favorite up here is to go to my local Chapters or Indigo Book stores and pick out the photo magazines from the UK + Photoshop User mag. These magazines are high quality, high priced and the store also has a Starbucks or Second Cup Coffee cafe in them so with a stack of magazines in hand I walk over and grab a java, sit down in their lazyboy seats and kill an hour or so looking through them.

Doing this, you can't help but pick up a tip or two from them, take the ideas home and try them out!

Have fun!
LOL ! I do this all the time. Grab a cup of coffee and about 5 magazines and read them. Now saving them for later refference is another story as I remember things much better when I have it in front of me and use it. So next time I may take my notebook down there and use it on the spot! I may have to buy more than one cup of java though. LOL