Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Xtreme Makeover

Old Nov 29, 2008, 6:51 AM   #1

Hi Guys

Im wanting to get the following photo printed onto canvas as a Christmas gift for my wife. We took the shot last year on our honeymoon in Krakow, Poland. Im looking to get it printed onto a canvas 28x20" in size but have been told the image is at a too low a resolution.

Is there anything that could be done to the image to make it more suitable?

Thanks for any help, much appreciated!

www.intuitionbase.com/canvas.jpg is the original image, its too large to attach
Ryu1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 29, 2008, 8:19 AM   #2

Ryu1200 wrote:
Quote:
Hi Guys

Im wanting to get the following photo printed onto canvas as a Christmas gift for my wife. We took the shot last year on our honeymoon in Krakow, Poland. Im looking to get it printed onto a canvas 28x20" in size but have been told the image is at a too low a resolution.

Is there anything that could be done to the image to make it more suitable?

Thanks for any help, much appreciated!

http://www.intuitionbase.com/canvas.jpg is the original image, its too large to attach

Hi, There is software called "Genuine fractals Print Pro" that claims to do enlargements up to 1000% without losing a lot of detail. It's a Photoshop Plug-in and

I believe it's very effective. There is a demo version, but not too sure if it does a full job, may just do a one-off. It will need a fairly fast PC to operate, I guessing you'd

finish up with a file size of 200 - 300 M/Bytes for the degree of enlargement required Take a look here ....

http://www.ononesoftware.com/detail....FQoh3godaz-sDA

Hope this helps ... Jack.
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2008, 2:59 PM   #3

Hey,
no offense meant - but with the lack of detail in that photo a more easy resize without using special software will do. Here is an example from the image center, original and a 3x easy enlarge, to show what I mean.

I would ask the printing company to try an enlarge, they usually have good software to do this - it will be at least as good as you can see here, maybe a tad better.

my 2 cents,
Th.
Attached Images

thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2008, 3:31 PM   #4

I don't think you need worry about the image resolution. This is a fairly soft scene to begin with, and canvas is not suited to fine detail anyway. A company which does this sort of printing will have software to resize with as little loss as possible.

My only concern would be the lack of contrast. You may want to do some local contrast enhancement before sending it to print.

brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2008, 6:36 PM   #5

Here the 28x20 300DPI file http://rapidshare.com/files/168714008/Ryu1200-fx.zip

Pictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2008, 3:22 AM   #6

Thats fantastic thanks very much Pictus!

Thanks to everyone else too who's helped!

The lady at ASDA photo centre better not say she cant do it now! :-)

My wife's going to love it.
Ryu1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2008, 10:00 PM   #7

I recently decided I wanted had a picture of similar size printed on canvas. The picture was in JPEG format, about 1900 x 1500 and was about 2.5 mb and I put it on a CD.

Before I decided to get the whole thing printed, I made a crop of part of it and had that printed on ordinary photo paper at the same degee of enlargement to check how it would look. I suggest you might do that too.

The result looked O.K., so I then had the entire thing printed on canvas. Then I took it to a picture framer & he fastened it to a stretcher as he would have done with an oil painting & then he framed it. The lab that printed it onto canvas charged me about $70 for the canvas print. The picture framing though cost a lot more than $80. But I'm very pleased with it.

Bearing the foregoing in mind, I did a few things to your very big JPEG file. First I adjusted the brightness & contrast, sharpened it a bit using Photoshop Elements Unsharp Mask then, because the picture had a lot of "noise" I filtered out a lot of the noise with Neat Image. Then I reduced the file to 2000 x 1429. The file size at best JPEG came out at about 2mb.

In case it's any use to you, I've put the result in one of my albums at PBase (I hope you don't mind) so that you can download it if you like. I'll leave it there for a few weeks & then remove it.

Here's the link to it - http://www.pbase.com/mtu_fulani/image/106552692

Herb is offline   Reply With Quote