Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Xtreme Makeover

Old Dec 20, 2008, 2:27 AM   #1

I got these two hummingbird photos I really like. Only problem is the bird is a tad fuzzy in both photos. How do I make it sharper without ruining the picture? Can you give me different tips on achieving that. Do I need to post my full resolution picture here?

This is an email size photo and my full size one looks fuzzy when blown up on my 24" screen.

I had a heck of a time trying to get shot's of the hummingbird as he wouldn't hold still one second, constantly darting around.

jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 20, 2008, 8:57 AM   #2

While you have a couple nice shots the the birds they are blurred. The sharpness of the feeders only adds to the contrast and emphasizes that problem. You have to get the light and shoot with at least 1/1000 to get stop action. I tried a bit of Sharpen Edges/Smart Sharpen and Unsharp Mask to 'fix' the bird. I selected only the bird and some area around it and left out the feeder since its already sharp enough. This will help a little but will show up when blowups are made.
Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2008, 9:03 AM   #3

This one I treated the same as above but then applied Noise Ninja a couple of times. I think any kind of fixing done will have to be a trade-off. Another thing about shooting these birds. You know where they will be so point your camera at the yellow feeder flower perch, then just wait for them to come. I spent a couple weeks shooting these creatures every moment I could. Lots of pics but just a few that were what I wanted. Good luck.
Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2008, 10:47 AM   #4

Bynx wrote:
Quote:
Another thing about shooting these birds. You know where they will be so point your camera at the yellow feeder flower perch, then just wait for them to come. I spent a couple weeks shooting these creatures every moment I could. Lots of pics but just a few that were what I wanted. Good luck.
I used the extra fine spot to focus on that yellow feeder flower perch but it was still a tad off. These birds move extremely fast. I tried focusing on the bird but he never holds still long enough to get a shot off. I've got some sharp ones of him feeding, but that wasn't the one I wanted. I've shot off using motordrive and everything else I could think of too.

Thanks for your help.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 11:37 AM   #5

These two are probably a little better but I couldn't get that red. Sometimes the red shows up and sometimes they don't with these hummingbirds.

Old Dec 21, 2008, 4:55 AM   #6

Hi, Here's my take ... in each case I applied some noise filtering with Noiseware Pro, the effect was very marginal and probably not needed. Then took out some slight out

of focus blur with Focus Magic + a little hipass sharpening to finish off, hope you like ... Jack
Attached Images

jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2008, 4:57 AM   #7

Here's the other one ...
Attached Images

Old Dec 21, 2008, 5:12 AM   #8

Similar treatment of the last two ...
Attached Images

Old Dec 21, 2008, 5:13 AM   #9

And again ...
Attached Images

Old Dec 21, 2008, 1:09 PM   #10

jachol wrote:
Quote:
Hi, Here's my take ... in each case I applied some noise filtering with Noiseware Pro, the effect was very marginal and probably not needed. Then took out some slight out

of focus blur with Focus Magic + a little hipass sharpening to finish off, hope you like ... Jack
Thank you jachol. How can I do what you did with Photoshop 7? If I can't do it with Photoshop 7, can I send you the 4 full resolution photos and have you do them? I want these for printing.