Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Xtreme Makeover

Old Jun 3, 2009, 7:06 AM   #1

Default Free photo processing

My name is Bruce MacPhail.I have been a member here for only a short time,however I have been into photography for quite awhile.What I would like to offer is free Digital Photo processing.Yes I actually enjoy trying to improve images of all sorts.If you happen to have older photos or would like to improve what you have.Send me them and I'll see what I can do.
Also If your a pro and you need some additional help processing your images,I would be more than happy to do that for you.
If your wondering why,well this works for both you and I.I got laid off recently,and have extra time on my hands,so I now get to have more time to devote to photography.Plus hopefully If you send me images I get lots more practice,and you get your images improved hopefully.Risk to you,nothing at all.If you don't like how I processed them,just let me know.
I realize most of you here are already pretty good at photography and processing images,but as they say it never hurts to ask. Thanks for the opportunity
Bsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 12, 2009, 10:27 PM   #2

Welcome, Bruce;
What I would recommend, for starters, is to download some of the photos in this forum, work them over, and post the results to give others some idea of your abilities and techniques. We all tend to look at things with a different idea of what would be an improvement, and what is to my taste may not be to yours or some othe person's. Would love to see what your take is on some of the posted photos. The more, the merrier.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2009, 12:17 AM   #3
Super Moderator

It is best to check with people first that they are happy for you to use their images for this purpose. A safer/easier option is to use some of your own images showing the original and then the final result.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2009, 7:10 AM   #4

i have this old photo if anyone is up to the task

this is my dads mum Mary , unfortuanatly she passed away about 5 years ago or so now i visited my dad today (farthers day) and noticed this old picture on the side i thought it would be great if i could do something with it for him as it is only one of the few left that he has. so if anyone would like a go at it or would like to guide me in a little restoration work im happy to learn the surround is actually a part of the picture so i guess it most be a photocopy of the original.

Last edited by simple; Jun 21, 2009 at 7:12 AM.
simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2009, 6:02 AM   #5

Hi,
I've only seen this today, and took a shot at it. There's not too much you can do apart from some clean up. I've applied sharpening to the eyes and hair, applied slight gausian blur to soften the skin areas to ease the ravages of time, then added the new surround. No worse than the original I hope. ... Jack
Attached Images

jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2009, 1:08 PM   #6

thanks for your time and effort jachol i should have added this as been sorted now .... here is/was the result

i didnt do this myself i may add
Old Jul 10, 2009, 1:32 PM   #7

Yeah Ok, no problem I do like to have a go at restorations. Whoever did that one made a very good job of it ... I doubt you'd get any better.
Learning PS is a very steep learning curve, I must have been using it at least 5 years, and I still find new techniques, it never really ends. Cheers ... Jack
Old Jul 11, 2009, 6:43 AM   #8

jachol here is the process used as the person who did was happy to explain a little to me.

Quote:
You can use this or if you are looking for a learning experience yourself, you could use this as guide/goal.

Heres a list of things I did:

• ▪Replaced Border with new. Added texture, bevel, etc.

▪Used Spot Healing Brush, Healing Brush, and Clone Stamp to get rid of all the imperfections.

▪Duplicated the image as a new layer.

▪Used Lens Blur on the new layer.

▪Used Eraser tool with 20% - 80% opacity and erased her from the blurred layer, leaving the background. (I used 20 - 80% because I wanted to control the blurring. 100% is all or nothing)

▪Corrected color, levels, etc.

▪Minor touch-ups

Tips:

• ▪Don't always use 100% opacity on everything. 5 brush strokes with 50% is better than one brush stroke at 100%.
    ▪Use a variety of tools. Spot Healing, Healing, and Cloning Stamp can all be used.

▪When using the Spot Healing, smaller is better. Don't always go for big strokes. Using the tool on "spots" only works best. It is less frustrating too. Sometimes when you use large strokes, it brings in colors that you don't want.

▪Separating the background and the subject onto different layers can make color correction and levels easier sometimes.
Old Jul 11, 2009, 11:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple View Post
jachol here is the process used as the person who did was happy to explain a little to me.
OK !, Thanks for the workflow ... the clean up techinque is pretty standard, I agree with all said re. working with lowered opacity, it does help the blending in of the applied work.
As for the rest, well there's more than one way to skin a cat, and we all have our own ideas on proceedure, anything you do should be subtle, don't go for psychedelic (hope I spelled that right) LOL. Personally I always like to get some life into the eyes where possible, I think this can make a portrait pop. Check out this thread, you'll see what I mean ...
Need Retouching!
Cheers ... Jack
Old Aug 9, 2009, 2:24 PM   #10

Okay, I'll give it a try. Tell me what you think.
TwiceWise is offline   Reply With Quote