Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Xtreme Makeover

Old Apr 21, 2010, 12:40 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwild View Post
Littlejohn, I accept your apology. It was 2:30 am here, I was just about to go to bed, when your post came up. It struck me the wrong way, and I reacted. That's not like me. Please accept MY aology for making those off-the-cuff remarks, and we can move on from here...
No worries...

I do think its neat what you are doing. Old photos like these have as much meaning today as they did then. I am speaking about anyone's old photos and what they mean to the viewer.

I enjoy old photos. And I can't help but wonder what you were thinking then and now. When I first looked at the photo, I wondered what could be the primary reason for your project?

I don't want you to answer. There are a 100 resons why. But it adds to the 'story' behind the 'story'.
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2010, 12:50 AM   #22

Littlejohn, I personally know of a couple who had their wedding photos destroyed in 2004 by Hurricane Ivan, here. They were married in 1968, and the photog who shot their wedding still had the negs, and was able to re-create their wedding album, after 36 years of storage. A lot of my vietnam pics have no negs, so I am scannimg them to "digitize" them and, in the process, try to "touch" them up (a lot of them have yellowed with age). For posterity, partly, and to share with others in my old unit via dedicated web sites. The scanning comes first, then the headaches...

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2010, 12:59 AM   #23

What scanning technique are you using? You can answer in a new thread if you want to.

That photographer must be my brother (who else would hang on to stuff that long???)
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2010, 1:16 AM   #24

I'm using a Brother mfc 665cw "office" machine, and scanning the pics on the flat bed scanner at 300 dpi, I think. I'm not real high-tech in this field, so I do the best I can. I do think, however, I can get better results when I figure out what settings to use to get the most resolution. Also, the original pics were taken by a variety of cheap cameras (think-kodak instamatic), or other generic "126" format film using plastic lenses and fixed focus... So the original pictures were not in the same universe as what we get with our digital cameras today... What's the old saying..garbage in, garbage out.

My Flickr
-Robert-

Last edited by Hawgwild; Apr 21, 2010 at 1:20 AM.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 1:56 AM   #25

Camp Evans why does that ring some bell in my memory of my brother Leslie Harris whom was over there to ... He passed away in 2008, Nov I was not even home I know he a lot of shots but I do not know who has them now... wish I did... for I am sure he had moms albums too. he was stationed all over the place I do have a shot of him on leave to home ... some where I may have more... Find a copy in my Album..

Last edited by SharpShotGal; Apr 21, 2010 at 2:57 AM.
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2010, 9:13 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpShotGal View Post
Camp Evans why does that ring some bell in my memory of my brother Leslie Harris whom was over there to ... He passed away in 2008, Nov I was not even home I know he a lot of shots but I do not know who has them now... wish I did... for I am sure he had moms albums too. he was stationed all over the place I do have a shot of him on leave to home ... some where I may have more... Find a copy in my Album..
After conversing with several members here I am surprised at the number of people here that are vietnam vets. Feel free to post any pics you may have of Leslie. It's an extremely long shot, but someone may recognize him from a picture. Extremely long shot...

My Flickr
-Robert-

Old Apr 23, 2010, 3:15 PM   #27

Hey Robert,

Here is my try, were you around there in June or July 69 or know a medic named Joe Glassburn? He was killed at A Shau 11 July 69.

Bob

Last edited by bhammitt; Jun 4, 2010 at 9:29 PM.
bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2010, 3:37 PM   #28

Hi Bob, good job on the pic (way better than mine). The medic you refer to was killed about three months before I got in country. I got to go to tha Ashau, but not while it was "hot". I also missed Hamburger Hill. Lucky me...

Thanks for the go on the pic, I appreciate it very much.

My Flickr
-Robert-

Old Apr 23, 2010, 5:14 PM   #29

Default My brother Leslie E. Harris

I do not recall his ranks but I do know he was stationed many places and trained in many locations... He and many from the Grandview, Washington area where he was raised were in Nam... a sad event for many that's for sure.. Every time we watched the news mom would cry as well as I. For it was the boys over there we seen doing what they had to do to ensure the safety of another country. Were they really fighting for our own ? ! I have my feelings they were doing only what their own country had been led to believe "to do unto others as you would want done unto you!" Fight to help them and they too will help you...

but then if we fight those that the other country were needing or feeling help less over their enemy' will come to do the worse to our own... that is why so many had went out and started the what we call the Hippie era: make love not war Peace to all men on earth! So now we all know what it is like to have wars in our times though they were of another kind and over drugs and neighbor hood gang control... then our own had ways to try and do to many other things that fell the family units... all cause of what spying on the neighbors... of what was said or written .. oh Lord what a mess this world has became... I cant get it any bigger as it was grabbed from another site... Les was of American Indian as well off the Cowlitz tribe the only tribe in Washington State that never signed a treaty with the Government I think it prevented him from getting the job he wanted when he got out of service... Sorry its small but I grabbed it from another site. SSG

any ways here is just one that I had to pry from Classmates where I had posted some photos.. I have very few of him in any manner actually for my actual box is with my daughter here he is in his uniform dress from a time when he was home .....
Attached Images

Last edited by SharpShotGal; Apr 23, 2010 at 5:17 PM.
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2010, 7:07 PM   #30

SharpShotGal, the pic is not visible, just a box with a red X in it.

My Flickr
-Robert-