Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Xtreme Makeover

Old May 18, 2010, 1:13 AM   #51

Default Second crack at it

The more I looked at my first attempt the more I could see some artifacts that I'd left, so I went to clean those up. A bit more with the clone tool, a bit of sponge tool over the left cheek, and after reading what some other folks did, I also applied a tiny bit of gaussian blur, then fed the result to fixerlabs' focusfixer filter. Some subtle differences, but you can see more of Hawgwild's left eye and some of the original sharpening artifacts are gone. Also fixed the color aberration the sponge tool seemed to have given me by stripping out all the color and retinting the image back to the color it was when I started. I think I've pushed this about as far as I know how.
Attached Images

Last edited by ubergeek72; May 18, 2010 at 1:28 AM. Reason: fixed a color aberration. In a B&W photo. Go fig.
ubergeek72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2010, 12:29 AM   #52

Those white streaks across your face are quite a challenge. I've concentrated on them using Photoshop Elements 2 with the picture enlarged so that I could attack them first by using the polygonal lasso tool & the ordinary lasso tool to copy & paste bits over the streaks and then by using the pencil tool to darken in one way or another, more individual pixels. Here's the result.
Attached Images

Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2010, 12:45 AM   #53

Herb, yeah the streaks across the face are the real problem, but you have made them disappear very nicely, much better than I could. As I said earlier in this thread, this pic is approximately the same size as the original, so there isn't much to work with. Thanks much for your help here!

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2010, 2:21 AM   #54

For some reason this is the first Im seeing this thread. Sorry I missed it. But when you scan the polaroid is 300 dpi the best you can get? Also can you increase the scan size from size as to say 300%? The highest dpi and largest scan size is what Im after.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2010, 2:22 AM   #55

Here's my attempt (I just concentrated on the face). Luckily being monochrome there is lots of available stuff to clone easily:

[EDIT] just noticed this is quite an old thread but if you have another picture of yourself from round that time it would help in the reconstruction of the face in this photo.

Last edited by MartinSykes; Jul 30, 2010 at 2:27 AM.
MartinSykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2010, 2:38 AM   #56

After downloading the manual for your fax/scanner/copier/printer/popcorn maker I see the resolution can be as high as 19200 x 19200 dpi by using the Brother scanner utility.

By the way, are you wearing wireframe glasses in the picture?
Old Jul 31, 2010, 8:00 PM   #57

Well, apparently I lost track of this thread. Must be my latest med LOL. I got sick with bronchitis/crud about two months ago and basically gave up tobacco at that point. Now, with a little blue pill to start my day, I don't suffer the cravings as bad. One of the bad side effects seems to be short term memory loss and periodic confusion. A good trade off. I actually am feeling much better not smoking. I know, it's a disgusting habit. So anyway, I will answer some posts that I missed in my confusion!

My Flickr
-Robert-

Old Jul 31, 2010, 8:05 PM   #58

Ubergeek, I missed your post May 17 as I was very ill and not in the mood for anything for about a week. Sorry . Thank you for your edit of my very bad pic. I think several of you guys have done wonders with it, and considering it's been in a large shoe box for 40 years, I don't expect any more from it than what's been done. Thanks again!

My Flickr
-Robert-

Old Jul 31, 2010, 8:15 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
After downloading the manual for your fax/scanner/copier/printer/popcorn maker I see the resolution can be as high as 19200 x 19200 dpi by using the Brother scanner utility.

By the way, are you wearing wireframe glasses in the picture?
Ah, Bynx (Paul), I wondered if you would see this. Alas, the Brother MFC 665 cw has been taken out by lightening. It hit my next door neighbor's house, wiping out ALL his electronics, and got my machine, and nothing else (thank goodness).So at this moment, I am stuck with this scan, unless I can get to my in-laws house and do one there.

Since my machine is no longer in warranty, I might take it apart and see if the damage is obvious; something like a burned wire or ???

Uh, no I'm not wearing glasses in the pic (shows how bad it is LOL)

My Flickr
-Robert-

Old Aug 1, 2010, 10:48 AM   #60

Hopefully it will be something as simple as a fuse at the end of the inline before any of the electronics start. Good luck with that.
What you could try is to take the pic outside out of the direct sunlight and with your camera on a tripod shoot the pic. Watch out for reflections and if you are careful you should get a very good "scan". If you use a 7.1 Megapixel camera that would be a picture size of 42" x 32" at 72 dpi. And when you change the dpi to 300 that means a good hi res image of 8 x 10 for sure.

Last edited by Bynx; Aug 1, 2010 at 10:52 AM.