Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Xtreme Makeover

Old Jul 16, 2010, 6:17 AM   #11

I had a quick shot at your pic, can't do too much with a low res file ... Highlights are blown. ... Jack.
Attached Images

jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2010, 8:34 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jachol View Post
Hi, Glad you like the idea, and I can't see why it wouldn't work with your Sony, in fact with a good lens on the DSLR results could possibly be better.
With the wooden box prototype a point and shoot was used, and I think the macro setting was switched on, and the the distance set by sliding boxes in and out, I never tried this one myself.
My own setup used a +10 dioptre supplementary lens, a good quality 2 element job by Hoya as I said with full optical zoom I could just with fill the frame with 3X optical zoom. camera was set to normal ( no macro setting).
You could probably calculate the distance needed, but I just mounted a backlit slide in a slotted block of wood, and juggled the distance so that I had good focus, and a full frame image, when looking at the display on the back of the camera, from that I could work out the length of tube needed allowing for the supplementary lens and any mounting rings. The tube BTW is a piece of TV aerial mounting mast 2" diameter, and sprayed matt black inside to cut out any light reflection.
You could work along those lines, and arrange mounting on the lens filter ring to suit the lens used. It's really all cut & try for each individal camera/lens
If you need further gen don't hesitate to ask, and I'll certainly be interested in any results. Good luck ... Jack.

PS. I should have added ... In use just point it at a neutral sky, bright grey conditions are probably best but not too critical. ... J.
My first experiment: simply holding a tube from a toilet roll around the lens of the Sony W350 and a slide at the other end of the tube (also hand held) produced a pretty good pic. All on auto, high sensitivity and indoors. So encouraging is the result that I will now proceed to manufacture something similar to yours and follow your tips. I'll post some pics asap. Thanks for your time Jack.

www.apperley-art.com
riki101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2010, 7:46 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by riki101 View Post
My first experiment: simply holding a tube from a toilet roll around the lens of the Sony W350 and a slide at the other end of the tube (also hand held) produced a pretty good pic. All on auto, high sensitivity and indoors. So encouraging is the result that I will now proceed to manufacture something similar to yours and follow your tips. I'll post some pics asap. Thanks for your time Jack.
You're welcome. The world's your oyster, experiment away ... I enjoy projects like this, I've always been a keen homebrewer, and it can save a few shekels, I don't mind paying for something if needed. ... Jack.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 9:29 AM   #14

Thanks to Jack I finally produced something that really works. Below is my first effort and some pics of materials used (3mm non-corrugated cardboard would be better) together with a dupe sample obtained from a Kodachrome 126 slide nearly forty years old.
Attached Images

www.apperley-art.com

Last edited by riki101; Jul 20, 2010 at 12:59 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 12:47 PM   #15

Quote:
Thanks to Jack I finally produced something that really works. Below is my first effort and some pics of materials used (3mm non-corrugated cardboard advisable) together with a dupe sample obtained from a Kodachrome 126 slide nearly forty years old.
Looks good, and things don't have to be fancy to work. I like it. ... Jack
Old Jul 18, 2010, 1:30 PM   #16

wow that is a very excellent idea and great results too
Old Jul 20, 2010, 2:22 AM   #17

I should have added to my post #14 that all I do with the digitized dupes once on the computer is Crop and Unsharp Mask with Gimp.

www.apperley-art.com
Old Jul 20, 2010, 9:15 AM   #18

Great idea. Whats the light source you will be using? That could change results also.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2010, 12:55 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordo View Post
Great idea. Whats the light source you will be using? That could change results also.
The light source is just the reflection of a white wall, indoors, on a bright day. I've tried outside pointing to the sky (both blue and cloudy) but the results are not as good.

www.apperley-art.com