Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Xtreme Makeover

Old Nov 9, 2010, 10:53 AM   #11

Ive noticed that too Brian. It seems the effects like watercolor or oil paint work best at low res files. There doesnt seem to be anything built into the plugins to compensate for the original being hi res.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2010, 8:14 AM   #12

That may have been my problem of not being able to get the same effect then since the one with the effect I like was reduced in size then the effect added.

Thanks for all the samples.. What I ended up doing is taking the smaller image that had the effect I wanted and just resampling it to a larger size. Its being printed by lustrecolor on watercolor type paper that is suppose to have a texture that will add to the effect. Hopefully it turns out well.
Widowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2010, 9:45 AM   #13

I hope it works out well for you. Thanks for sharing the picture and the link. Sorry we weren't able to help you out. I certainly learned something from it, though.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2010, 11:07 AM   #14

Hi All,
I've got to agree with the others ... working on the larger file does seem different, I can't seem to get the same effects as on the smaller original file. I've tried many times with different approaches, and in the end abandoned the project.
Thought I'd try a colourised version of the sketch, I'll attach a scaled down sample, I do have the full sized version if you'd like it. ... Jack.
Attached Images

jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2010, 9:19 PM   #15

I started with the big file on this one and then rescaled after done.Didint spend a lot of time on it since you are having yours printed...but think was coming close to the first one I posted which was rescaled first., just needs more blending and all.
I have to agree with Bynx this isnt the way I would of painted it if someone asked me to paint it for them but what others likes doesnt really matter, it is what you like that counts.
Let us know how the upsizing and printing goes and thanks for giving us some play time.

Dennis
Old Nov 15, 2010, 9:12 PM   #16

Update... Got the Watercolor Print back from LustreColor. 16x20 mounted and it looks exactly how I wanted. I would place its appearance as a mixture of my edit and the look of the edit Bynx did, where he shows the close up, and the edit stockdogtta posted.. but more towards the edit by Bynx.

Viewing from a distance of about 10 feet one might wonder if its a painting or a matte finish photo but as you get closer it looks more and more like a painting. This is what I wanted and total cost.. $4.95 including shipping.

Last edited by Widowmaker; Nov 15, 2010 at 9:25 PM.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 1:12 AM   #17

Glad everything worked out in the end. And you cant beat the price.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 2:53 AM   #18

Good ending to the project ... Glad you got a satisfactory result. ... Jack.
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 8:29 PM   #19

You can't really see enough to appreciate it but heres the final framed print. This will not be the final framing.. just temp.. until we can have one custom made. As I stated before the print itself is 16x20 (the part inside the thinner brown matte, so the whole thing framed is quite large. Could not be happier with the result.

Last edited by Widowmaker; Nov 16, 2010 at 10:54 PM.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 1:37 PM   #20

This is the best I could. Sorry I didnt read the part about it being oil painting look. Marc
Attached Images

Last edited by mbrobich; Mar 5, 2011 at 1:41 PM.
mbrobich is offline   Reply With Quote