Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Xtreme Makeover

Old Nov 6, 2010, 5:47 PM   #1

Default Oil Painting

Heres the situation. My father in law passed away about a year ago. My sister in law (my wifes twin), was given the photo they had displayed at visitation. It was of poor color with a very bad red tint. To make things worse it was an enlargement of an already poor quality master, apparently done at Walgreens on the do it yourself type machine.

Since the original and scan are of such poor quality I want to turn this into more of an artistic piece, either oil or watercolor effect. It will probably be printed on canvas at around 18x20. My goal is for it to have a definite painted appearance so the when people see the final product it is not mistaken for an actual photograph. I actually achieved the appearance I want but reduced it to show someone and then could not duplicate the look when I went back to do the full size.

Click here for the full size restored original to work with. If you decide to give this a go just shoot me a PM and I will provide my email address so you can send the full size edit to me.

Below is the desired appearance that I have not been able to duplicate again. It does not have to be exact but if you notice on the tip of the nose and overall it has noticeable shift in shades of color rather than smooth blends. I have no problem submitting the actual photo to an online service and have them do the effect but my fear is the effect they use might not be as dominate as I want it to be.

Last edited by Widowmaker; Nov 7, 2010 at 10:21 AM.
Widowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 7, 2010, 11:29 AM   #2

Hi,
Here's a B&W sketch sample, I've also done a more painterly colour version to big to post here, it's around 300K/Bytes, can email if you like, not sure if t's exactly what you want. ... Jack.
Attached Images

jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2010, 1:15 PM   #3

Here is a oil paint look.
Attached Images

Last edited by Bynx; Nov 7, 2010 at 1:18 PM.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2010, 1:33 PM   #4

Here is a watercolor look and would look great on a canvas.
Attached Images

Old Nov 7, 2010, 1:35 PM   #5

Here is a size as sample of an area of the HR version.
Attached Images

Old Nov 7, 2010, 2:21 PM   #6

Thanks for the samples. What Im wanting is the appearance I have in the sample, which I made. The problem is I have not been able to duplicate it. If you examine closely, it has an apparent lack of detail, which I want. Also the rougher details.. look at the area where shadow and light on his left cheek meet. Its like that all over but most apparent there.

I believe I used sponge effect along with watercolor but I just cannot remember.

Last edited by Widowmaker; Nov 7, 2010 at 2:27 PM.
Widowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2010, 1:21 PM   #7

Here is just a quick version of scaled down original to see if I'm in the ball park...if so will work on the big file and blend and lighten the nose better and try to get a little more detail in the cheek but not rest of the face.

Dennis
Old Nov 8, 2010, 11:11 PM   #8

I had a go as well. The full size pic is difficult to work with due to the heavy grain/noise. Here is a resized version of my take.

brian
Attached Images

VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 6:59 AM   #9

I wish you would reconsider your choice of process. Trying to cover up some photo problems by making it look worse isnt the way to go. Your rendition is too course. Making it look like a painting while at the same time an accurate painting should be the objective. Deviating to abstract does the photo injustice. So far Im kinda partial to the B&W by Jachol followed by my watercolor of which I also enclosed a closeup. It looks a little too red but easily fixed. I tossed the files anyway. And while Stockdogtta has come close to your look it doesnt do the original photo justice as I said. Brian's attempt looks simply like a blurry photo. This is the photograph that will represent the person and you should do it the best you can. Just my opinion and not meant to ruffle anyone's feathers.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 9:17 AM   #10

Interestingly, my photo editor bases its effects on pixels, and the maximum pixel radius for the watercolor effect is too small to really provide a watercolor look to the original. This situation occurs for quite a lot of the other effects as well.
Working on the resized version, I can do just about anything, and probably, to get a decent watercolor look, I would have to use the small picture, and then resize it larger. A situation where working with the full-size pic returns worse results than using a downsized one.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote