Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Xtreme Makeover

Old May 14, 2012, 3:51 AM   #11

Hi,

It seems to me the problem lies in the way you're scanning the picture, as shown in the pic below all the white area is wasted, there is no picture info there, total file size is almost 1.5M/bytes, but the picture you're posting is less than 20 K/Bytes.

In your scanner software there should be a provision to move the bounding lines to just the picture area, you can usually drag lines from the side to encompass the area required (see the black lines I've added) the bounding lines define the area to be scanned, and will result in a picture of much higher definition, with which members stand a better chance of a reasonable result.

Hope this helps. ... Jack
Attached Images

jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2012, 4:19 AM   #12

oh sorry about that maybe one day I will get things right anyway I have now rescanned the picture at 600 dpi and sized it to as you said

please let me now know if this is done ok for editing

When I open picture in a web browser and zoom in its now 2112 x 3280

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/63789918/rescan2%20001.jpg

Last edited by acctim; May 14, 2012 at 4:23 AM.
acctim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2012, 5:49 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by acctim View Post
oh sorry about that maybe one day I will get things right anyway I have now rescanned the picture at 600 dpi and sized it to as you said

please let me now know if this is done ok for editing

When I open picture in a web browser and zoom in its now 2112 x 3280

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/63789918/rescan2%20001.jpg
Don't apologise, you're not the first one to make that mistake (including myself early in my scanner experience).

The present posting is very good, and should produce a result from someone, please be patient though, despite what you've been told your picture is in very poor condition and needs considerable work to produce a presentable version. I'll give it a go a little later ... family commitments do have to take priority. ... Jack.
Old May 14, 2012, 5:59 AM   #14

yeah that's fine bud. I am also trying photoshop but think I am not experienced enough. I can seem to remove scratches and tears but I would imagine when you print it you will see these smudge marks on the print where I used the healing tool. maybe I should do it in layers. which I am not atm. just editing on same photo not used any layers
Old May 15, 2012, 6:35 AM   #15

Quote:
yeah that's fine bud. I am also trying photoshop but think I am not experienced enough. I can seem to remove scratches and tears but I would imagine when you print it you will see these smudge marks on the print where I used the healing tool. maybe I should do it in layers. which I am not atm. just editing on same photo not used any layers
I haven't had a lot of time on this, and gave up on repairing the whole print, and just concentrated on the girl, then moved her image to a new background, it still needs some work, I'm not getting the floor shadowing right for some reason, I don't know how the sample below would print, and I am doubting I could do better, it certainly isn't an easy one. ... Jack
Attached Images

Old May 15, 2012, 7:41 AM   #16

wow that's much better than I can do. there is no hurry, you have done well mate. its most appreciated. I had a go at just removing the tears etc. and I also was going to give it a new background. like you said how would this print.

what do you think of my efforts no where as good as yours mind you

EDIT: I cant make out why I cant upload my picture as its in my dropbox folder

let me know if you can now get mine

http://www.fileswap.com/dl/qMTd6IQy9...2_002.jpg.html

Last edited by acctim; May 15, 2012 at 7:59 AM.
Old May 15, 2012, 8:42 AM   #17

Quote:
wow that's much better than I can do. there is no hurry, you have done well mate. its most appreciated. I had a go at just removing the tears etc. and I also was going to give it a new background. like you said how would this print.

what do you think of my efforts no where as good as yours mind you

EDIT: I cant make out why I cant upload my picture as its in my dropbox folder

let me know if you can now get mine

http://www.fileswap.com/dl/qMTd6IQy9...2_002.jpg.html
Hi,

Just sheltering from a heavy rain shower, was working outside, will get back later..
I think you said you used the spot or maybe just the healing brush, I only use that for minor blemishes, I prefer to work with the clone stamp tool at low opacity, sampling often. I find the healing brush tends to blur larger areas so you lose detail.

Yes the shadow is coming up with some colour, I probably added the floor shadow on a wrong layer (I'll figure that out later), but you do need some shadow to anchor things down else they look like they're levitating. OK rains about finished more later if I get chance. ... Jack
Old May 15, 2012, 9:15 AM   #18

I take it you are using photoshop cs5 then as thats what i use did you see my picture as I couldnt get it to upload right. yes i also find healing and spot tool leaves smudges. I will try the clone tool on low capacity. how did you cut out the girl and give it a new background
Old May 16, 2012, 3:17 AM   #19

Quote:
I take it you are using photoshop cs5 then as thats what i use did you see my picture as I couldnt get it to upload right. yes i also find healing and spot tool leaves smudges. I will try the clone tool on low capacity. how did you cut out the girl and give it a new background
Yes I do use PS, I switched to it exclusively several years ago, and I'm still learning, it's an endless process it seems, but once you master the fundamentals of using layers and masks + the other basic tools (Clone stamp tool, healing brush + the patch tool, dodge & burn etc.) you can cope with most things. I've learned mainly by searching via google for video tutorials.

I did the cutout mainly with the quick selection tool, and then added to the selection using the polygonal lasso tool ... some guesswork involved there the girls right sleeve area is an example since the highlights were blown out, or maybe faded in the original pic.

Edit ... forgot to mention I did see your picture and could see the blurring at the top of the girls coat, where I assume you'd used the healing brush.

... Jack.

Last edited by jachol; May 16, 2012 at 3:41 AM.
Old May 16, 2012, 3:30 AM   #20

Here's another sample, I've corrected the floor shadowing, and softened the shadowing generally + lightening the picture a little (if you overdo this you'll start to show imperfections in any repair work) in this case the neck area + the coat collar ... more guesswork there.

I've reduced the pic size to post here, but have saved a full sized version as a .tiff file. If you like this version I can send it via email you can send an email addy via a personal message. ... Jack.
Attached Images